April 24, 1967 |
North Trenton, New Jersey, U.S.
|Education||Hillcrest High School|
Ajai Sanders (born April 24, 1967) is an American actress and stand-up comedian. She is best known for her supporting role as Gina Deveaux in The Cosby Show comedy spin-off A Different World (1991-1993). Sanders is sometimes credited as Ajai Richards.
Sanders moved to Los Angeles and began working as a stand-up comic, eventually this work led to what initially was to be a one-time role on A Different World. The guest role was expanded after director Debbie Allen proved impressed by the qualities Sanders brought to the character, whose appearances were expanded to five that season and 18 the following season, after which she was added to the show's opening credits. Sanders has made guest appearances on the sitcoms, Martin, Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Parent 'Hood, The Wayans Brothers, The Jamie Foxx Show, and Moesha. She also guest-starred in a 2001 episode of the Lifetime show, The Division. Sanders had a major role in the independent urban comedy, High Freakquency, in which she was credited as Ajai Richards. She had a smaller role in the Michael Keaton Christmas comedy, Jack Frost and also appeared in the 2000 urban independent drama, The Playaz Court.
- 2011: Are We There Yet? as Tam (1 episode, 2011)
- 2001: The Division as Adeen (1 episode, 2001)
- 2001: Moesha as Lisa (1 episode, 2001)
- 2000: The Playaz Court as Yolanda
- 1998: Jack Frost as Interviewer
- 1998: High Freakquency as LaShanda
- 1997: The Jamie Foxx Show as Irene (1 episode, 1997)
- 1997: The Wayans Bros. as Amber (1 episode, 1997)
- 1995: The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air as Candance (2 episodes) as Jana (1 episode) (3 episodes, 1995)
- 1995: Hangin' With Mr. Cooper as Denise (3 episodes, 1995)
- 1993: Martin as Thomasina (1 episode, 1993)
- 1991-93: A Different World as Gina Devereaux (28 episodes)
- TVOne: Ajai Sanders
- Ken Parish Perkins. "AJai Sanders stands up to any naysayers," The Dallas Morning News, May 19, 1992.