Alex Kendall Somers is an American visual artist and musician from Baltimore, Maryland. He is currently living in Reykjavík, Iceland with his long-time boyfriend, Jón "Jónsi" Þór Birgisson, the vocalist and guitar player for the Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Rós. Somers is a founding member of the now defunct band Parachutes. He has also collaborated with his partner Jónsi Birgisson, producing visual art & music under the title Jónsi & Alex and they have released an album called Riceboy Sleeps. He has played instruments on the album and on tour for his boyfriend's solo album, Go. Somers has produced and mixed many records including those of Rökkurró, Sin Fang, Pascal Pinon, as well as Úlfur Hansson's, (a.k.a. Klive). He also drew the design of the artwork of the Colombian group Sismo for their second album La Magia Existe. Alex Somers was previously a raw food vegan but has now, due to different reasons a reverted to the only vegan diet.
Parachutes was a band formed in 2003 as a duo consisting of Alex Somers and Scott Alario, with a live band consisting of eight members including Þórdís Björt Sigþórsdóttir, Tinna Jóhanna Magnusson, Björn Pálmi Pálmason, Kári Hólmar Ragnarsson, Brendan Glasson, and Aaron Borucki. The band was named after a common term for dandelion seeds. They recorded in Alex's kitchen, and commonly experimented using household objects as instruments. The band has collaborated with Jónsi Birgisson of Sigur Rós, as well as Amiina. On November 13, 2009 the band announced on their MySpace page that they would no longer be recording or touring together while also giving away free audio downloads of their entire discography (the albums "Parachutes", "Susy" and their EP "Tree Roots").
Alex Somers has worked on the designs of many Sigur Rós album covers. His most acclaimed cover is Takk..., which received Best Album Design at the 2006 Icelandic Music Awards. Alex Somers and Lukka Sigurðardóttir, wife of Orri Páll Dýrason (drummer for Sigur Rós), form the Toothfaeries, who make all of the official hand-made merchandise for Sigur Rós. He attended Berklee College of Music, Boston, and Listaháskóli Íslands, Reykjavík.
- "eighteen seconds before sunrise - sigur rós news » 2005» August» 17". sigur-ros.co.uk. Archived from the original on 27 February 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2009.
- "saoing faoing, Two excited young men in the studio. Started". sinfang.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- ÚlfurOver FacebookTijdlijnOver Facebook (2011-11-07). "Úlfur - CV". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- Sari Peltonen (18 August 2009). "Raw in Reykjavík". grapevine.is.
- "Last.fm - Parachutes - Description". Retrieved 20 July 2009.
- "Thank you... + free downloads". Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "eighteen seconds before sunrise - sigur rós news » 2006» January» 25". sigur-ros.co.uk. Retrieved 13 January 2009.
|This Icelandic biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|