December 30, 1968 |
|Type of climber||Free climbing, mountaineering|
|Updated on 13 May 2013.|
When they were still young Alexander Huber and his brother Thomas Huber were taken into the mountains by their father, Thomas Huber, himself a noted climber known for early fast ascents of now classic climbs. Together with his brother Thomas, he became interested in extreme alpine climbing.
Since 1992 Alexander Huber has been a state-certified mountain and skiing guide. He first studied physics, then became a full-time professional mountaineer in 1997 and is now one of the most successful climbers and mountaineers. While being an all-round climber, Alexander is most famous for his bold free ascents of big walls.
- 1992 First Ascent of Om (5.14d/9a), Triangel / Bavaria
- 1994 First Ascent of Weisse Rose (5.14d/9a), Schleierwasserfall / Austria
- 1995 Free Ascent of the Salathé Wall (5.13b), El Capitan, Yosemite Valley
- 1996 First ascent of Open Air (5.15a/9a+), Schleierwasserfall / Austria, the most difficult sport route of its time. It was initially graded as 9a, but recently found its second ascent by Adam Ondra, who upgraded it to 9a+ trying to fit to the "new school" grading situation.
- 1997 Tsering Mosong, West Face of Latok II, 7108m, Karakoram, VII 5.10c A3, 2200 m: FA with Thomas Huber, Conrad Anker and Toni Gutsch
- 1998 Cho Oyu (8201m), Himalaya, Nepal
- 1998 First Ascent of El Nino (5.13b), El Capitan, Yosemite
- 1998 First Ascent of Free Rider (5.12d), El Capitan, Yosemite
- 2000 First Ascent of Golden Gate (5.13a), El Capitan, Yosemite
- 2001 First Ascent of Bellavista, (5.14b/8c), Cima Ovest, Dolomites, Italy
- 2001 First Ascent of El Corazon, (5.13b), El Capitan, Yosemite
- 2002 Free Solo Ascent of the Direttissima (500m, 5.12a) of Cima Grande, Dolomites, Italy
- 2002 Cerro Torre, Cerro Standhardt and Fitz Roy in Patagonia
- 2003 First Redpoint Ascent of Free Zodiac (5.13d), El Capitan, Yosemite
- 2004 Free Solo Ascent of the Kommunist (5.14a), Austria
- 2004 Speed Record on the Zodiac, El Capitan, Yosemite, CA, USA in 1:51:34
- 2005 First Redpoint Ascent of Voie Petite (5.13d/8b) on Grand Capucin, Mont Blanc
- 2006 First Ascent of Golden Eagle (5.11/A1), Aguja Desmochada, Patagonia
- 2006 Free Solo Ascent of the South Face (5.11a) of Dent du Géant (4013m), Mont Blanc
- 2007 First Ascent of Pan Aroma (5.14b/8c), Cima Ovest, Dolomites, Italy
- 2007 Speed Record on the Nose, El Capitan, Yosemite, CA, USA in 2:45:45, till 07/2008
- 2008 First Ascent of the Westface (5.11/A1) of "La Silla", Patagonia
- 2008 With an ascent of Torre Egger, Alexander finished the collection of the three Torres: Cerro Torre, Torre Egger and Cerro Standhardt, Patagonia
- 2008 First Ascent of Sansara and Feuertaufe, both 5.14a, two alpine multi-pitch climbs in the Tyrolean Alps
- 2008 First Free Solo Ascent of Grand Capucin (5.10), Mont Blanc
- 2009 First Free Ascent with Thomas Huber of Eternal Flame, (5.13a), on Trango ("Nameless") Tower (6,239 m), Pakistan.
- Alexander Huber und Thomas Huber: The Wall. BLV, 2000
- Alexander Huber: Yosemite. Ottobrunn : Bergverlag Rother, 2002
- Alexander Huber und Willi Schwenkmeier: Drei Zinnen. Bergverlag Rother, 2003
- Am Limit released in 2007 about the Speed Record on the Nose.
- Center of the Universe Climbing im Yosemite 
- Huber, Alexander; Thomas Huber, Conrad Anker, Toni Gutsch (1998). "The West Face of Latok II: El Cap on top of Denali". American Alpine Journal (New York: American Alpine Club) 40 (72): 34–42. ISBN 0-930410-78-5.
- Dougald MacDonald. "Huber Solos 5.14". climbing.com. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Dougald MacDonald. "Zodiac Record". climbing.com. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Alexander Huber (1 December 2005). "Grand Capucin, Voie Petit". alpinist.com. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Alexander Huber frees Pan Aroma 8c on Cima Ovest di Lavaredo, Dolomites". planetmountain.com. 8 August 2007. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "The Nose speed record by Alexander and Thomas Huber". planetmountain.com. 18 October 2007. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Eternal Flame, Nameless Tower, first free ascent by Huber brothers". planetmountain.com. 1 October 2009. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Erik Lambert (1 October 2009). "Hubers Redpoint Eternal Flame". alpinist.com. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Official Website
- Pan Aroma 8c, Cima Ovest
- Interview with WideWorld Magazine