|Golden Trumpet (Allamanda cathartica)|
Allamanda, also known as Yellow Bell, Golden Trumpet or Buttercup Flower, is a genus of tropical shrubs or vines belonging to the dogbane family (Apocynaceae).
A woody, evergreen shrub with vigorous growth, Allamanda may reach a free-standing height of 2 metres or more. The leathery leaves are lancelike, pointed, and may either be opposite or in whorls of three or four. The yellow, trumpet-shaped flowers are 5-7.5 cm in diameter; cultivated forms tend towards larger blooms which may also be white, purple, pink or orange in colour. Their scent may be described as delicate and fruity.
In the wild, Allamanda grow along riverbanks and other open, sunny areas with adequate rainfall and perpetually moist substrate. The plants do not tolerate shade, salty or alkaline soils; they are highly sensitive to frost. Allamanda are otherwise undemanding and with appropriate conditions will grow rapidly, from 1–3 metres annually. The seed capsules are oval and prickly; cultivated forms rarely produce seeds, but Allamanda are easily propagated from cuttings. Discarded cuttings are quick to take root.
Allamanda have become naturalized throughout the tropics; they may be seen in roadside ditches, abandoned yards and dumps. As a controlling measure, cutting is ineffecive with Allamanda and will lead to vigorous coppicing. Owing to its fast growth, Allamanda has been introduced widely where it is used as a groundcover or for hedges and screens. In some areas Allamanda are an invasive species, notably Allamanda cathartica in Queensland, Australia.
Allamanda cathartica is also notable for its medicinal properties: all parts of the plant contain allamandin, a toxic iridoid lactone. The leaves, roots and flowers may be used in the preparation of a powerful cathartic (hence the name); the milky sap is also known to possess antibacterial and possibly anticancer properties. Gardeners exposed to the sap will develop rashes, itch, and blisters.
The City of Canóvanas in the Caribbean Island of Puerto Rico, has named the Allamanda Carthica (Yellow Bell) its official flower/plant due to the vast amount of these thru the entire city and its rivers. It's also in their seal and downtown plaza.
Species and synonyms 
- Allamanda angustifolia Pohl
- Allamanda angustifolia var. psilophylla Müll.Arg. = Allamanda angustifolia
- Allamanda aubletii Pohl = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda blanchetii A.DC.: Purple Allamanda, Violet Allamanda
- Allamanda brasiliensis Schott ex Pohl = Allamanda schottii
- Allamanda cathartica L.: Golden-trumpet, Large Yellow Bells, Brownbud Allamanda, Yellow Allamanda
- Allamanda cathartica Schrad. = Allamanda schottii
- Allamanda cathartica f. salicifolia Voss = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda cathartica var. grandiflora (Aubl.) L.H.Bailey & Raffill nom. inadmiss. = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda cathartica var. hendersonii (Bull ex Dombrain) L.H.Bailey & Raffill = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda cathartica var. nobilis (T.Moore) L.H.Bailey & Raffill = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda cathartica var. schottii L.H.Bailey & Raffill = Allamanda schottii
- Allamanda cathartica var. williamsii (Anon.) L.H.Bailey & Raffill = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda doniana Müll.Arg.
- Allamanda grandiflora . (Aubl.) Lam. nom. inadmiss. = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda grandiflora Poiret nom. Iileg. = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda hendersonii Bull ex Dombrain = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda hendersonii W.Bull ex Dombrain = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda laevis Markgr.
- Allamanda latifolia C.Presl = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda linnei Pohl = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda magnifica Williams = Allamanda schottii
- Allamanda martii Müll.Arg.
- Allamanda martii var. parvifolia Müll.Arg. = Allamanda martii
- Allamanda neriifolia Hook. = Allamanda schottii
- Allamanda nobilis T.Moore = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda oenotherifolia Pohl
- Allamanda parviflora C.Presl
- Allamanda polyantha Müll.Arg.
- Allamanda puberula A.DC. = Allamanda puberula
- Allamanda puberula var. gardneri A.DC. = Allamanda puberula
- Allamanda puberula var. glabrata Müll.Arg. = Allamanda puberula
- Allamanda puberula var. lasiocalycina Müll.Arg. = Allamanda puberula
- Allamanda salicifolia hort. = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda schottii Hook. = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda schottii Pohl: Bush Allamanda
- Allamanda setulosa Miq.
- Allamanda thevetifolia Müll.Arg.
- Allamanda wardleyana Lebas = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda weberbaueri Markgr. .
- Allamanda verrucosa Gardn. ex Müll.Arg. = Allamanda puberula
- Allamanda verticillata Desf.
- Allamanda williamsii Hort. = Allamanda cathartica
- Allamanda violacea Gardn. & Field. = Allamanda blanchetii
See also 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Allamanda|