Allen Coats Meadors (born May 17, 1947) is an American higher education educator and administrator current working in higher education in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)(1). He has served as president/chancellor of three US state universities. Penn State Altoona (Feb.1994-June 1999)(3); University of North Carolina-Pembroke (July 1999-June 2009)(16); and University of Central Arkansas (July 2009-September 2011)(15). Prior positions he has held includes: Dean of Health,Social and Public Services, Eastern Washington University; Dean of Public Health, University of Oklahoma; Chair of Department of Health Administration, University of Oklahoma; Executive Director of the Northwest Arkansas Radiation Therapy Institute.
He is chancellor emeritus of the University of North Carolina-Pembroke (UNCP). During his tenure at UNCP, the campus student enrollment grew from less than 3,000 to nearly 7,000. Nearly $300 million in capital improvement occurred and an intercolleagiate football team was established. Endowned chairs increased from two to seven. A Honor College was established and the campus moved from being primarily a commuter campus to residential campus. An endowed chair in mathematics was established in his honor.
Early life and education
Meadors was born and raised in Van Buren, Arkansas. He graduated from Van Buren Senior High School. Where he was an honor students, class and student government officer. He was a three year letterman in football, basketball and track. He attended the University of Central Arkansas where he was a class officer and athletic letterman. He graduated with a Bachelor in Business Administration in 1969. He obtained a master's in business from the University of Northern Colorado (1974); a master's in public administration from the University of Kansas (1975); a master's in human relations from Webster University (1979); a master's in health services administration from Webster University (1980) and his Ph.D. in higher education leadership from Southern Illinois University (1981). He also has an associate degree in Computer Science from Saddleback College.
He served in the United States Air Force from May 1969 until October 1973. He was a Captain upon his departure. He was an Assistant Director with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (1973-1976); Assistant Director of the Kansas City Health Department (1976-1977); Regional Coordinator for Southern Illinois University (1977-1982); Director of the program in Health Administration (1982-1984)for the University of Texas medical Branch. He has served on hospital boards in Arkansas, Pennsylvania,Washington and North Carolina. He served 7 years on the State of North Carolina Retirement Board. He served as a board member of the Lumbee Guartanee Bank in North Carolina. He was an American College of Healthcare Executive regent for the State of Oklahoma (1990). He is one of only a few higher education administrators to have served as the CEO of NCAA Division I, II, and III schools. He is currently serving as the Executive Director of the Higher Education Coordination Council in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)and Adjunct Professor in the College of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Meadors is married to the former Barbara J. Lentz of Alexandria,VA and they have two sons, Tyson (USNA 2008) and Jarrett (Elon 2007).
- Biography/ linkendin (http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=90390545&trk=tab_pro)
- Dedicated to Success (http://robesonian.com/bookmark/1630057-Chancellor-Allen-Meadors-dedicated-to-success-for-UNCP-athletics)
- UNCP names Chancellor ( http://www.uncp.edu/news/1999/meadors.htm )
- Arkansas Business( http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/39255/new-uca-president-allen-meadors-called-a-uniter?page=all )
- Biography/Arkansas ( http://honors.uca.edu/wiki/index.php/Allen_C._Meadors )
- Meadors to Retire (http://www.uncp.edu/news/2009/meadors_retires.htm )
- New leader (http://www.arkansasleader.com/2009/06/editorial-uca-gets-new-start.html )
- Q and A with President Meadors (http://ucamagazine.wordpress.com/tag/allen-c-meadors/ )
- Interview/UCA ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rad_U37iU3A )
- Decision (http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/483/assets/6.13_I2CH.pdf )
- First Priority (http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/39440/financially-healthy-uca-is-first-priority-new-president-says?page=all )
- Goals for UCA (http://thecabin.net/news/local/2009-07-30/meadors-discusses-goals-school-meeting )
|This article needs additional or more specific categories. (January 2014)|