|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2012)|
Allume Systems was a software developer, originally founded in 1988 by David Schargel and Jonathan Kahn in New York City as Aladdin Systems to develop, publish and distribute software for personal computers. Allume was incorporated in January 1989.
In Aprl 2004, the company was acquired by PC software publisher International Microcomputer Software Inc. (IMSI). A few months later in July, the company was forced to change its name from Aladdin Systems as part of a settlement of a trademark lawsuit with Aladdin Knowledge Systems. In 2005, Allume Systems was acquired by Smith Micro Software from IMSI. Currently, Allume is headquartered in Watsonville, California, as part of Smith Micro Software.
Allume Systems originally developed exclusively for Macintosh, focusing on data compression and management utilities, such as the StuffIt family of compression utilities and the StuffIt InstallerMaker delivery suite, the ShrinkWrap disk image utility, and its Spring Cleaning system optimization utility.
As early as 1995, Allume began to release some elements of StuffIt to Windows while not releasing the full StuffIt for Windows until 2000. StuffIt was later ported to both Linux and Solaris in 2001. Under Smith Micro, both Unix products has since been discontinued.
In response to the success of the popular marine aquarium fishtank simulator, they have also released their own line of fish sims known as Aquazone, which is not affiliated with the discontinued fish tank computer simulation from 9003.inc by the same name.
- "IMSI to acquire Aladdin Systems". Silicon Valley Business Journal. January 21, 2004.
- Cohen, Peter (April 20, 2004). "IMSI completes Aladdin Systems acquisition". Macworld.
- Engst, Adam C. (August 16, 2004). "Aladdin Purchased, Becomes Allume, Sponsors TidBITS". TidBITS.
- "ALADDIN SYSTEMS CHANGES NAME TO ALLUME SYSTEMS". Allume Systems (Retrieved from the Internet Archive.). 2004-07-26. Archived from the original on 2005-12-02.
- Cohen, Peter (July 30, 2004). "Aladdin renames itself Allume". Macworld.
- "Smith Micro acquires Allume Systems". L.A. Biz. July 5, 2005.
- Cohen, Peter (July 5, 2005). "Smith Micro acquires StuffIt maker Allume". Macworld.
- Duncan, Geoff (July 11, 2005). "Smith Micro Acquires Allume". TidBITS.
- "2001 SEC Form 10-KSB Annual Report". SEC. 2001.
- "Aladdin acquires ShrinkWrap". MacTech. November 13, 1996.
- Duncan, Geoff (November 11, 1996). "ShrinkWrap 2.1". TidBITS.
- "Aladdin Ships Stuffit for Linux and Solaris". LWN.net. July 9, 2001.
|This article about an IT-related or software-related company or corporation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|