|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2013)|
|Born||Sarah Leigh Fogleman
January 1, 1974
Oklahoma, US
|Genre||Chick lit, Young-adult fiction|
Ally Carter graduated from the Oklahoma State University and Cornell University.
She began her work as an author of two adult novels, Cheating at Solitaire and Learning to Play Gin. She then introduced her career to young-adult novels with the Gallagher Girls series and later developed the Heist Society series with a novella of the two series's characters called Double Crossed.
Her second novel—the sequel to Cheating at Solitaire—is Learning to Play Gin, which was released in November 2006.
Carter's first young-adult novel was I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. It is the story of a girl who goes to a prestigious spy school and what happens when she falls for a normal boy who has no idea who she really is. It was selected as a Texas Lone Star reading list book for 2007-2008.
The sequel to I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You, titled Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy was released in 2007 in the USA. This was the second book of the Gallagher Girls Series and was released on October 2, 2007. It chronicles the second semester of Cammie Morgan's sophomore year and her self-assigned mission against the boys who have moved into her school. Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy was on The New York Times Best Seller list for ten weeks. The first two books in the series were released in the UK with different covers and website.
The third book of the Gallagher Girls series, Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover, is about Cammie's junior year where an organization called The Circle of Cavan seems to be trying to kidnap or kill Cammie's friend Macey.
Ally's first young-adult book separate from the Gallagher Girls is the start of a new young-adult series about a girl named Kat, with the title Heist Society, whose family business is thievery. Kat's father is suspected to have stolen a mafia group boss's paintings. The only way Kat can save her father is by finding who stole them and stealing them back. It was released February 9, 2010.
The fourth book of the Gallagher Girls series, Only the Good Spy Young, is about the aftermath of Cammie discovering that the Circle of Cavan is after her, and the discovery of her father's journal in Sublevel Two.
The third book in the Heist Society series, Perfect Scoundrels, was released on February 5, 2013 .
The 6th and final Gallagher Girls book, United We Spy, was published on September 24, 2013, detailing Cammie's final semester at the Gallagher Academy as she takes down the Circle of Cavan.
Gallagher Girls Series
- I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (2006)
- Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (2007)
- Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (2009)
- Only the Good Spy Young (2010)
- Out of Sight, Out of Time (2012)
- United We Spy (2013)
Heist Society Series
Embassy Row Series
- All Fall Down (2015)
- Double Crossed (2013)
- My True Love Gave to Me (2014)
- Griekspoor, P.J. (April 2009). "Writer says hold on to dreams". NewsWatch (Kansas). Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- Metcalf, Fran (April 10, 2009). "Ally Carter writes off the day job". The Courier-Mail (Brisbane). Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- "Stories Behind The Names (cont.)". Ally's Agents Blog:Pub Rants. May 8, 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-06-09. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "Learning to Play Gin". Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Lone Star Reading List 2007 - 2008". Retrieved 2007-02-25.[dead link]
- "Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy". Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Gallagher Academy".
- "And the title of the new Kat book will be...". Ally's Diary. 9 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-10.[dead link]
- "My final gift...". Ally's Diary. December 25, 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Uncommon Criminals!". Ally's Diary. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- "A whole blog of random (in bullets)". Ally's Diary. 2010-02-27. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Perfect Scoundrels: a Heist Society Novel". Ally's Diary. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Official website
- Gallagher Girls Series Website
- YA Fresh interview
- New York Cool interview
- bookburger.com interview
- Hyperion Books for Children profile