||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
January 11, 1958 |
Fullerton, California, U.S.
Life and career
Reed was born in Fullerton, grew up in Anaheim, California and attended Anaheim High School, where she graduated in 1976. She began ballet at age 4 and performing in musicals at age 7. She began working professionally at age 12. Alyson performed as Alice in Wonderland at the Disneyland theme park.
Reed made her Broadway debut in Dancin' in 1978. Additional Broadway credits include "Oh Brother", Dance a Little Closer, Cabaret, A Grand Night for Singing, and Marilyn: An American Fable. She was nominated for the Tony and Helen Hayes Awards for Best Featured Actress in a Musical for Cabaret and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical for Marilyn. In 1992, she starred opposite Michael O'Keefe in the national touring company of A Few Good Men in the role of Lt. Cmdr. Galloway, and also toured as Cassie/Val in A Chorus Line, and Catherine in Pippin. She has numerous regional credits and can be heard on various cast albums.
Reed's most notable screen role was Cassie in Richard Attenborough's film adaptation of A Chorus Line, and she also appeared in the comedy Skin Deep with John Ritter. Her many television credits range from: 'Modern Family, Mad Men, Grey's Anatomy and Bones'.........back to Matlock, L.A. Law, Murder, She Wrote, Frasier, Law & Order, Without a Trace, ER, Judging Amy, Chicago Hope, The X Files"................to CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Nip/Tuck, Crossing Jordan, Numb3rs, Boston Legal, NYPD Blue and Desperate Housewives
Most recently, she has become known to younger viewers for the role of Ms. Darbus in the popular Disney Channel movie High School Musical and its sequel High School Musical 2 (although her role in that film was only one scene). She reprised her role as Ms. Darbus in High School Musical 3: Senior Year. Visit TheOfficialAlysonReed.com
- A Chorus Line (1985) as Cassie
- Skin Deep (1989) as Alex
- Lost in the Wild (1993) as Tommy
- Manhattan Merengue! (1995) as Susan Kelly
- Norma Jean & Marilyn (1996) as Natalie Kelly
- The Secret She Carried (1996) as Donna Snow
- Party of Five as Mrs. Reeves (9 episodes, 1995-1999)
- Taking Back Our Town (2001) as Roseanne
- Providence as Lenore Decker (4 episodes, 2002)
- The Agency as Lesley Turnbull (5 episodes, 2001-2002)
- High School Musical (2006) as Ms. Darbus
- High School Musical 2 (2007) as Ms. Darbus
- High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008) as Ms. Darbus
- Desperate Housewives as Judge Conti (3 episodes, 2012)
- Modern Family as Angela (episode Spring-a-Ding-Fling, 2014)
- "Alyson Reed - Biography". BuddyTV. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- The Official Alyson Reed
- Alyson Reed at the Internet Broadway Database
- Alyson Reed at the Internet Movie Database