American History Book Prize
The New-York Historical Society American History Book Prize or simply the American History Book Prize is an American literary award given annually by the New-York Historical Society for an adult non-fiction book on American history or biography copyrighted in the year of the award "that is distinguished by its scholarship, its literary style and its appeal to a general as well as an academic audience." The winner receives an engraved medal, $50,000 cash and the title of American Historian Laureate. The inaugural award was presented in 2006 for books published in 2005.
Date is year when books were published; the following year is when the award was given. Thus the inaugural award was given in 2006 for Team of Rivals published in 2005.
- 2005: Doris Kearns Goodwin, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln 
- 2006: David Nasaw, Andrew Carnegie (bio of Andrew Carnegie)  
- 2007: Daniel Walker Howe, What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation Of America, 1815–1848 
- 2008: Drew Gilpin Faust, This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War 
- 2009: Gordon S. Wood, Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815 
- 2010: Ron Chernow, Washington: A Life (bio of George Washington) 
- 2011: John Lewis Gaddis, George F. Kennan: An American Life 
- 2012: Robert Caro, The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson
- The New-York Historical Society American History Book Prize. THE 6th ANNUAL COMPETITION (2010)
- Lawrence Van Gelder (March 29, 2006). "Doris Kearns Goodwin Wins $50,000 Prize". New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Lawrence Van Gelder (March 27, 2007). "Carnegie Biography Wins History Prize". New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Benjamin Lytal (Apr. 27, 2007). "New-York Historical Society Awards Prize". The New York Sun (New York, NY). Arts and Entertainment: p18. GALE|A166437433
- "Footnotes". New York Times. March 11, 2008. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "Harvard president Drew Gilpin Faust wins $50,000 book prize." (March 10, 2009). The Canadian Press. Database Newspaper Source Plus MYO086509936909
- Patricia Cohen (February 28, 2010). "Brown Professor Wins History Prize". New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Julie Bosman (March 4, 2011). "Ron Chernow Wins Prize For Biography". New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Jennifer Schuessler (February 29, 2012). "Gaddis Wins History Prize for Kennan Biography". New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Jennifer Schuessler (February 20, 2013). "Another Prize for Robert Caro". New York Times. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- The New-York Historical Society American History Book Prize, official website.