Andrei Markov (ice hockey)
December 20, 1978 |
Voskresensk, Russian SFSR,
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||203 lb (92 kg; 14 st 7 lb)|
|NHL Draft||162nd overall, 1998
Andrei Viktorovich Markov (Russian: Андрей Викторович Марков; born December 20, 1978) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman. He is an alternate captain of the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League (NHL). He holds both Russian and Canadian citizenship.
Markov was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the sixth round, 162nd overall, in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. After being considered one of the best defencemen in Russia in 2000, he came over to North America and split time with the Canadiens and their then-minor league affiliate, the Quebec Citadelles of the American Hockey League (AHL). After rounding out his defensive game, he has become a regular in the Canadiens starting line-up and is widely considered to be their most complete defenceman.
Markov had a career year in the 2007–08 season, and was selected to his first NHL All-Star game as a starter.
On October 1, 2009, he suffered a lacerated ankle injury after colliding with Carey Price's skate and was initially expected to be out of the Canadiens lineup until February. Markov made a full recovery almost two months ahead of schedule and returned to action on December 19, 2009, when the Canadiens faced the New York Islanders. Markov ended up jump-starting the Habs' offence with two goals in his return en route to a 3–0 victory. During the 2010 playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins on April 30, Markov suffered a leg injury after being hit by Matt Cooke.
During the 2010–2011 NHL season, Markov played just 7 games earning 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists). On November 13, Markov went down awkwardly into the boards after a knee to knee hit with Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal with just over 5 minutes remaining in the third period. Markov underwent surgery December 8 and missed the remainder of the season.
On June 23, 2011, Markov signed a three-year contract with the Canadiens.
On March 10, 2012, Markov played in his first game in over a year, tallying an assist in a 4–1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.
On June 23, 2014, Markov re-signed with the Canadiens to a three-year contract worth an annual average value of $5.75M.
Regular season and playoffs
|Competitor for Russia|
|World Junior Championships|
- Markov inks four-year deal with Habs
- "Markov to Return To Habs Lineup Saturday Against Islanders". Tsn.ca. 2009-12-18. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Canadiens' Markov Injured By Cooke Hit In First Period He was out for the playoffs with a knee injury". Tsn.ca. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Habs' Markov to get Canadian citizenship". CBC.ca. 2010-07-16. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Canadiens re-sign Markov to three-year, $17.25 million contract". Tsn.ca. 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- Canadiens, Montreal. "Canadiens agree to terms on a three-year contract extension with defenseman Andrei Markov.". canadiens.nhl.com. Montreal Canadiens. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Canadiens opt for four alternate captains this season". NHL. 15 September 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.