Andy Lee (comedian)
Andy Lee (left) with Hamish Blake (right) at the 2009 ARIA Awards
24 May 1981 |
Andy Lee was born on 24 May 1981. Lee attended Balwyn North Primary School and Camberwell Grammar School. Lee has a sister, Alex Lee, who writes pantomimes and stars in the comedy show Porky Pies. He also has an older brother, Cameron Lee, with whom Lee started the band Zoophyte. Lee was involved with a youth camp called Lord Somers Camp. He attended Camberwell Grammar School from grades 8 to 12, where he participated in activities such as cadets, sports, and music. He was also a member of the Scouting Movement, also performing in Camberwell Showtime and Melbourne Gang Show. He then went on to study Commerce at the University of Melbourne, where he met comedic partner Hamish Blake in 2001. He worked at Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell.
Hamish & Andy
Lee and Blake teamed with Ryan Shelton and several others to create a show called Radio Karate for RMIT University's student television company RMITV, on community-access television station Channel 31. They also trained with, and appeared on, RMIT's student radio station SYN, and subsequently had a few spot projects on FOX FM.
Lee and Blake then hosted a comedy programme on Australia's Seven Network, The Hamish and Andy Show, which was shortly cancelled after bad ratings. Critics acknowledged their talent, but panned the show as poorly executed. Since this show, Lee and Blake have almost always performed together. They are now consistently referred to as Hamish & Andy.
Blake and Lee hosted the national (Today Network) drive-time program Hamish & Andy (radio show) that ran between 4 pm and 6 pm, Monday to Friday. In 2011, the program was cut back to a weekly Friday show due to wanting to pursue other opportunities. The radio show is considered successful, scoring top positions in the radio ratings in the crucial Sydney and Melbourne markets, as well as Perth. Their audience share is around 20%, which is the highest ever recorded for a national FM show in Australia.
Lee won the first series of Joker Poker, a celebrity poker show in which contestants win money for charity. He appeared on the Network Ten program Australia's Brainiest Comedian.
On 2 March 2010, Lee knocked out his two front teeth during the recording of a segment at an ice hockey venue.
On 10 May 2010, Andy and Hamish appeared on the TV show Good News Week.
In 2011 the duo made a deal with channel nine, since they have created a ten-part series called Gap Year: New York. In 2012, the comedy duo created a second Gap Year season, titled Hamish and Andy's: Euro Gap Year, in which the two travelled througouht Europe leading up to the 2012 London Olympic Games. In 2013, they continued the Gap Year series, creating a third season titled, Hamish and Andy's: Asia Gap Year.
Lee was also a founding member of Melbourne band Zoophyte, along with his brother Cameron. He had to retire from the band due to other commitments, but occasionally appears as a guest at some gigs.
Lee released an educational times table CD in 2003, The Sing Along Times Table CD Book. The CD was re-discovered in 2005/2006 after an "alert listener" informed Blake, and teased Lee about it on their radio show.
He is also friends with Ed Kavalee, formerly one of the co-hosts of Triple M's Get This program. Because they were on rival radio networks, whenever Kavalee mentioned Lee on air he called him "Mr X".
Awards and nominations
|2006||Cleo Bachelor of the Year||Cleo Bachelor of the Year||Won|||
|2013||Logie Awards||Most Popular Personality on TV||Nominated|||
- Jacqueline Maley and Alexa Moses (15 September 2006). "Son, you be a bachelor boy". SMH. Retrieved 4 August 2007.
- "Hamish Blake and Andy Lee in opposing camps". Herald Sun. 5 December 2011.
- "Who's Who pack now boasts Siddle, Hamish and Andy and the Masterchef judges". heraldsun.com.au. 9 December 2010.
- The Age: Hamish & Andy
- The Spy Report: Hamish and Andy quitting daily radio show
- Austereo: Media Release
- Media Release: Austereo’s Today Network wins the year for FM in Sydney and Melbourne
- "Gale not smiling over Lee's hockey accident". ninemsn. Archived from the original on 3 March 2010. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Moran, Jonathon (15 April 2007). "Andy Shows Another Side | thetelegraph.com.au". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Andy lee". TV Week Logie Awards 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Daily Telegraph (Australia) Andy Lee isn't feeling Blues over Megan Gale and her new lover Jan 3, 2011 " Megan Gale and Andy Lee split. Model Megan Gale and comedian Andy Lee, from the Hamish and Andy duo, have split after a four-year ..."
|Cleo Bachelor of the Year