Angelo Loukakis is an Australian author. He was born in Australia, attended Fort Street High School, studied English Literature at the University of New South Wales, and acquired a Dip. Ed. from Sydney Teachers College and a Doctorate in Creative Arts from the University of Technology, Sydney. He has worked as a teacher, editor, publisher and scriptwriter. Angelo Loukakis is the author of three novels: Messenger, The Memory of Tides, and Houdini's Flight; two collections of short stories, as well as non-fiction work, such as a children's book on Greeks in Australia, a book on ancestry based on the Australian version of the television series Who Do You Think You Are? and a travel book on Norfolk Island.
I wanted to show the extraordinary and positive relationships that were formed between Greeks and Aussies at a time of profound crisis. There were many instances of cross-cultural revelation during the Greek campaign. For humble, frightened village people an awakening and relief—they could scarcely believe that complete strangers would come from across the world to try to protect them from the Nazi tyrants. For Aussie boys, an awareness of a culture that had given birth to the very things they were fighting for—freedom and democracy.
His collection of short stories For the Patriarch received a prize in the 1981 NSW Premier's Awards and was set on the NSW HSC syllabus between 1986 and 2001. In 1980 his film, Dancing, was awarded a prize at the Melbourne Film Festival.
Angelo is the Executive Director of the Australian Society of Authors (2010).
- For the Patriarch (St. Lucia, Qld.: University of Queensland Press, 1981)
- The Greeks (Sydney: Hodder and Stoughton, 1981)
- Norfolk: An Island and Its People (Adelaide: Rigby, 1984)
- Vernacular Dreams (St. Lucia, Qld.: University of Queensland Press, 1986)
- Messenger (Ringwood, Vic.: Penguin, 1992)
- The Memory of Tides (Pymble, N.S.W.: HarperCollins Publishers, 2006)
- Who Do You Think You Are? (Sydney, N.S.W.: Pan Macmillan, 2008)
- Houdini's Flight (Pymble, N.S.W.: HarperCollins Publishers, 2010)
- “The Memory of War: Interview with Angelo Loukakis” by Scott Whitmont in Australian Bookseller & Publisher Magazine, 6 January 2007.
- Angelo Loukakis at http://www.austlit.edu.au/run?ex=ShowAgent&agentId=A(9l
- Angelo Loukakis: The Memory of Tides (reviews) at http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,20398442-5001123,00.html.
- Review of The Memory of Tides by Liam Davison at http://www.travel-to-crete.com/page.php?page_id=486
- Review of Houdini's Flight by Peter Pierce at http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/books/houdinis-flight-20100618-ym5g.html