Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, from Doom Patrol #89
Art by Bob Brown
|First appearance||Doom Patrol Vol. 1, #89 (August 1964)|
|Created by||Arnold Drake (writer)
Bruno Premiani (artist)
|Alter ego||Dr. Sven Larsen|
|Abilities||Can change his body into the form of any animal, vegetable, or mineral.|
Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is a fictional supervillain from the DC Universe and a foe of the original Doom Patrol. He first appeared in Doom Patrol (1st series) #89 (August 1964). The story was written by Arnold Drake, with art by Bruno Premiani.
Fictional character biography
Dr. Sven Larsen is a Swedish scientist and a former student of Niles Caulder, but they had a falling out after Larsen accused Caulder of stealing his idea for the anti-decay ray. Larsen gains his superpowers after falling into a vat of amino acids. He uses his powers to get revenge on Caulder and his Doom Patrol. The Doom Patrol defeat Larsen and are able to remove his powers. He later regains them and fights the Doom Patrol again.
Larsen returns to face the second incarnation of the Doom Patrol in Doom Patrol Vol. 2 #15 (December 1988) and #16 (Winter 1988), in partnership with General Immortus. He is defeated after Celsius encases him in ice.
In the twelfth issue of the series, Larsen is now a member of the 'Point Men', a team of super-powered guards working for Mister Somebody Enterprises'. His team is working to discredit the Doom Patrol, having been coached in various ways on how to make the heroes look bad for the cameras. Unknown to the Point Men, 'Mister Somebody' has rigged their uniforms to deliver fatal blows in ways that make it seem as if the Patrol killed them intentionally.
The New 52
The Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man makes its debut in issue #11 of The Ravagers as part of an experimental security feature Doctor Niles Caulder unleashes on intruders when his underground complex is breached.
Powers and abilities
Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man can change any part of his body into the form of any animal, vegetable, or mineral, including combining several at once. In most of his appearances, his arms, legs and his left side of his face take on various forms, leaving his torso and the right side of his face normal.
In other media
- Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man appears in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode "The Last Patrol!" voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. He was among the Doom Patrol villains (alongside Brain, Monsieur Mallah, Mutant Master, and Arsenal) assembled by General Zahl to target the Doom Patrol. He attacked the carnival that Negative Man worked at with the carnival barker asking about him and wondering who his agent is. Batman and the other Doom Patrol members arrived and Negative Man helped them fend off Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man. He later appeared on General Zahl's ship with the other villains and ends up defeated.
- Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man had a cameo appearance in issue #28 of Teen Titans Go!. The Doom Patrol discuss a battle they (along with a younger Beast Boy) had with Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man. He makes a full appearance on page 10, which itself is a based on the cover of the Doom Patrol comic.
- Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man made a cameo appearance in issue #7 in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold tie in comic and the cartoon series.
- Doom Patrol (1st series) #95 (May 1965)
- Giffen New Chief Of "Doom Patrol"
- "Doom Patrol" #12 (2010)