||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
Anthony Charles Thiselton (born July 13, 1937) has written a number of books and papers on Christian theology and the philosophy of religion. He has recently served on the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, appointed by the Minister of Health. He was educated at City of London School, with degrees from King's College London (BD, MTh) the University of Sheffield (PhD), and the University of Durham (DD). He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Chester; in March 2012. Thiselton is an Honorary Fellow of Cranmer Hall; fellow of Kings College London and fellow of the British Academy.
Thiselton is a former head of Theology at Nottingham University and also principal of both St John's College, Nottingham and St John's College, Durham. A Canon in the Church of England he represents Southwell Diocese at the Church of England's General Synod. He is Associate Priest in the parish of St Mary The Virgin, Attenborough, Nottingham. On 25 June 2002, he was presented with a Lambeth Degree of Doctorate of Divinity by the Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey.
He received a Festschrift edited by Stanley Porter and Matthew Malcolm entitled "Horizons in Hermeneutics" (April 2013).
Main works include:
- The Two Horizons: New Testament Hermeneutics and Philosophical Description, (Exeter: Paternoster/Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1980, 504 pp; rp. and tr. into Korean, 1990);
- The Responsibility of Hermeneutics (with Roger Lundin & Clarence Walhout) (Carlisle: Paternoster and Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1985);
- New Horizons in Hermeneutics: The Theory and Practice of Transforming Biblical Reading (London: HarperCollins/Grand Rapids: Zondervan 1992, 703 pp, Portuguese translation in progress);
- Interpreting God and the Postmodern Self, (Edinburgh: T & T Clark/Grand Rapids and Eerdmans, 1995, 182 pp);
- The Promise of Hermeneutics (Carlisle: Paternoster/Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999, 259 pp, joint author);
- The First Epistle to the Corinthians: A Commentary on the Greek Text (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans/Carlisle: Paternoster Press, 2000,1,479 pp);
- A Concise Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Religion (Oxford: Oneworld, 2001, and Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2005, 344 pp.);
- Thiselton on Hermeneutics: Collected Works and New Essays (Aldershot: Ashgate, and Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2006 827 pages);
- 1 Corinthians: A Shorter Exegetical and Pastoral Commentary, (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 336 pages); and
- The Hermeneutics of Doctrine, (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2007);
- Hermeneutics: An Introduction (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008-9);
- The Living Paul: An Introduction to the Apostle and this Thought (SPCK Publishing 2009).
- 1 and 2 Thessalonians: Through the Centuries (Blackwell, 2011)
- Life after Death: a New Approach to the Last Things (Eerdmans and SPCK, 2011);
- April 30th 2013: The Holy Spirit: In Biblical Teaching Through the Centuries and Today (Eerdmans 2013) 560 pages
- Forthcoming: A Companion to Christian Theology (Eerdmans)