Antistatic devices reduce static electricity, which can damage electrical components such as computer hard drives, and even ignite flammable liquids and gases. Types of antistatic devices include:
- Antistatic bag, used to contain devices, such as graphics cards or hard disk drives, typically during shipping.
- Antistatic garments, used in many industries such as electronics, communications, telecommunications and defense applications.
- Antistatic agent, compound used for treatment of materials or their surfaces in order to reduce or eliminate buildup of static electricity
- Antistatic mat, ranging from small mats for keyboards and mice and larger for people to stand on.
- Antistatic strap, consisting of a metal component which presses against the skin when worn on the wrist or heel, in turn relayed to an electrical ground.