Anupama Chopra at the launch of her book King of Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan, 2007
23 February 1967
|Occupation||Author, journalist, film critic|
|Spouse(s)||Vidhu Vinod Chopra (1990 – present)|
Anupama Chopra (born 23 February 1967) is an Indian author, journalist and film critic. She has written several books on Indian cinema and has been a film critic for NDTV, India Today, as well as the Hindustan Times. She also hosted a weekly film review show The Front Row With Anupama Chopra, on Star World.
Early life and background
Anupama Chopra was born as Anupama Chandra in Calcutta, India to a Punjabi Khatri family. Her father Navin Chandra originally from Delhi, was an executive with Union Carbide, and her mother Kamna Chandra was a scriptwriter; she wrote dialogues for such films as Prem Rog (1982) and Chandni (1989). Chopra grew up with her brother and sister in Mumbai, where her family lived in Nepean Sea Road and then in Cuffe Parade. Her sister Tanuja Chandra is a Bollywood director and screenwriter; and her brother Vikram Chandra is a novelist, who splits his time between California and India. She also lived in Hong Kong for several years as a teenager. In 1987, she graduated from St. Xavier's College, Mumbai with a BA in English Literature.
Thereafter she decided to become a film journalist. She earned her MA in journalism from Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She won the Harrington Award for magazine journalism while at Medill. She later said, "Film journalism was untouchable at the time. Everybody was ashamed and nobody wanted to admit that I worked for Movie."
Anupama Chopra has written several books. Her first book Sholay: The Making of a Classic (2000) won the 2001 National Film Award for Best Book on Cinema (India). Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (The Bravehearted Will Take The Bride) (2002) was published by the British Film Institute as part of their Modern Classics Series. Her book, King of Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan and the Seductive World of Indian Cinema, was featured on the annual "Editor's Choice" list of the New York Times Book Review.
Her 2011 book First Day First Show: Writings from the Bollywood Trenches, is a compilation of her articles on Hindi cinema over two decades, published by Penguin India.
Chopra's work has been published in India Today, India's largest English-language magazine. She has also written about Bollywood for various international publications such as The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, Variety and Sight & Sound.
She hosted film review show, Picture This on NDTV 24X7 news channel. In 2012, she started her weekly review show called The Front Row with Anupama Chopra, on Star World, which ran till June 2014. In 2013, she released two books, Freeze Frame based on the interviews with filmmakers and actors on the TV show, and 100 Films to See before You Die based on her weekly film columns.
- Sholay: The Making of a Classic. Penguin Books, 2000. ISBN 014029970X.
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (The "Brave-Hearted Will Take the Bride"), British Film Institute, 2002. ISBN 0851709575.
- King of Bollywood : Shah Rukh Khan and the seductive world of Indian cinema. Grand Central Publishing, 2007. ISBN 0446508985.
- First Day First Show: Writings from the Bollywood Trenches. Penguin Books India, 2011. ISBN 0143065947.
- Freeze Frames. Om Books, 2013. ISBN 9381607117.
- 100 Films to See before You Die. BCCL, New Delhi, 2013. ISBN 9382299351.
- The Front Row: Conversation on Cinema. HarperCollins Publishers India, 2015. ISBN 9789351770015.
- Anupama Chopra, Consulting Editor, Films, NDTV NDTV website.
- Chopra, Anupama (2 March 2012). "Anupama Chopra's review: Paan Singh Tomar". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
Starting today, Anupama Chopra becomes Hindustan Times' film critic.
- Kamna Chandra at the Internet Movie Database
- Ramnath, Nandini. "Home truths Anupama Chopra". Time Out Mumbai. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "48th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals.
- Results for 'au:Anupama Chopra' books WorldCat.org.
- Rajyasree Sen (30 April 2012). "The Front Row with Anupama Chopra is the reel thing". Firstpost. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "The Front Row with Anupama Chopra". STAR World. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "The Front Row with Anupama Chopra". STAR Tv India. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "A look at what's on celebs' minds". The Tribune. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- ""I am not a film snob" – Anupama Chopra". Cine Blitz. August 2013. Archived from the original on 10 August 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Sleeping with the Enemy". OPEN. 8 May 2010. Retrieved 27 July 2014.