|Full name||Apoula Edima Edel Bete|
|Date of birth||17 June 1986|
|Place of birth||Yaoundé, Cameroon|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Atlético de Kolkata|
|2001–2002||FC PWD Kumba|
|2006||→ KAA Gent (loan)||0||(0)|
|2011–2013||Hapoel Tel Aviv||64||(1)|
|2014–||Atlético de Kolkata||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 08:56, 5 November 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Apoula Edel was born in Yaoundé, Cameroon and moved to Armenia in 2002 and signed a contract with Pyunik FC in March 2003. In 2005 he joined Rapid Bucureşti along with Carl Lombé by unilaterally terminating his contract without just reason. Pyunik FC submitted the case to FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber, which the DRC passed a decision on 4 April 2007 and sent the decision to the parties on 3 August, which Edel was ordered to pay Pyunik US$15,000. He also claimed he was forced to naturalise during the court trial as an excuse to leave the country in 2005. The parties submitted the appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and CAS partially upheld the DRC decision and increased the fee to US$60,000 in 2008.
After being released by Rapid Bucureşti, French club PSG signed Edel on a free transfer. Following his signing for the club, Edel was a second choice goalkeeper behind Mickaël Landreau, Jérôme Alonzo and Grégory Coupet. On 16 November 2007, he played his first game with PSG in friendly against Guinea, not as a goalkeeper but as a forward after an injury to Loris Arnaud.In his second season for PSG, Edel made his debut for PSG in a Coupe de France against AS Nancy with PSG won 2-1. Edel made his UEFA Cup debut against Wolfsburg. Under Le Guen, Edel just made 4 appearances. After Le Guen was sacked as PSG manager, Antoine Kombouaré succeeded him. Under Kombouaré, Edel started to get more playing time and established himself as a first choice goalkeeper after Grégory Coupet suffered an injury to his Malleolar on 28 November 2009 which kept him out of the season. On 16 December 2009, Edel made his league debut for PSG in a 1-1 draw Lens. In 21 January 2010, Edel scored an own goal in a 1-0 defeat to Monaco which turned out to be the winner. After Coupet recovered from injury, Edel was once again second choice goalkeeper but it was short lived after due to Coupet poor performance and discouragement in the early season. On 29 November 2010, Edel made a blunder in a match against Lyon as PSG missed the chance to go to the top of Ligue 1. Edel performance was defended by Kombouaré saying "I have nothing against Edel, I even have a thought for him. He is the most disappointed because his mistake cost us the win. Now we will support him and it will be up to him to erase that mistake.There is a lot of frustration, because we showed big mental strength and a lot of technical qualities too"
Towards the end of the season, Coupet regained his first choice goalkeeper when he play against Lyon on 17 April 2011. Afterwards, Edel still the first choice goalkeeper for two more matches before Coupet regained again until the season finished.
As his contract set to expire at the end of the seasIn, reports claims that Edel could be on his way out of the club in the summer, with speculation regarding a possible replacement doing the rounds but the chairman Robin Leproux says Edel (along with Ludovic Giuly and Mamadou Sakho will be staying put.
Atlético de Kolkata
- As of 5 November 2014
|Pyunik||2002||Armenian Premier League||2||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|2003||Armenian Premier League||21||1||0||0||0||0||21||1|
|2004||Armenian Premier League||23||0||0||0||0||0||23||0|
|2005||Armenian Premier League||12||0||0||0||1[a]||0||13||0|
|Rapid Bucuresti||2005–06||Divizia A||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Paris Saint-Germain||2008–09||Ligue 1||0||0||0||0||2[b]||0||2||0|
|Hapoel Tel Aviv||2011–12||Israeli Premier League||34||0||0||0||10[b]||0||44||0|
|2012–13||Israeli Premier League||30||1||2||0||8[b]||0||40||1|
|Atlético de Kolkata||2014||ISL||2||0||—||2||0|
There have been recurring accusations since 2009 that Édel is living under an assumed identity, that he is in fact five years older than his reported age and his real name is Ambroise Beyaména. If the allegations were proved true and the player was found guilty, he could be sentenced to prison. Meanwhile if false documents were lodged with the game's French and European governing bodies, Paris Saint-Germain risked losing their last two wins against Sevilla and Arles-Avignon. They could also face expulsion from the European competition, demotion from the top tier of French football and heavy fines. Paris Saint-Germain, in partnership with Goom Radio, officially launched their own numerical radio station, the first ever dedicated to a Ligue 1 football club, which is also available over the internet. Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Apoula Edel was acquitted of possessing fake documents by the French police as his passport was found to be genuine. As a result, UEFA rejected Sevilla's appeal to have their Europa League defeat to Paris Saint-Germain overturned. After being clearing his name, Edel is ready to sue Nicolas Phillibert, his coach, of blackmailing. According to Phillibert, he paid for most of his expenses for two years and is still waiting for Edel to pay him back.
- "Apoula Edima EDEL". psg.fr. 2008.
- "Decision 47932a of FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber" (PDF). FIFA. 4 April 2007. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "CAS 2007/A/1359 FC Pyunik Yerevan v Edel Apoula Edima Bete, AFC Rapid Bucasresti & FIFA" (PDF). CAS. 26 May 2008. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "OFFICIAL, PSG engage Edel". Football Press. 16 August 2007. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Match Report:Coupe de la Ligue- Paris Saint-Germain v AS Nancy". Ligue 1.com. 12 November 2008. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Edel gets PSG backing". Sky Sports. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "PSG plan contract talks". Sky Sports. 9 February 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "Israel-terre-daccueil-dApoula-Edel-110749274" (in French). 10 le Sport. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "ISL: Atletico de Kolkata confident players would adjust to synthetic turf". First Post. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Paris Saint-Germain Goalkeeper Apoula Edel Ready To Sue Ex-Coach". Goal.com. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Le Equipe profile". Le equipe. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "Police meet PSG keeper over identity row". EuroSport - Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 23 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "More false identity woe for PSG 'keeper Edel". Agence France-Presse. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Sevilla File Official Complaint To UEFA Amid Forgery Claims Against Paris Saint-Germain Goalkeeper Apoula Edel". Goal.com. 18 September 2010. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "PSG launches its very own numerical radio". PSG.fr. 21 September 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "UEFA Dismiss Sevilla's Appeal To Have Paris Saint-Germain Defeat Overturned". Goal.com. 25 September 2010. Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "Paris Saint-Germain Goalkeeper Apoula Edel Ready To Sue Ex-Coach". Goals.com. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.