Aviary (application suite)
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (September 2014)|
|Stable release||iPhone - 3.2.5|
|Available in||29 languages|
Aviary is a photo-editing platform built to ignite creative freedom. Its imaginative tools empower millions of people all over the world to freely express themselves through imagery.
Headquartered in New York City, Aviary powers thousands of mobile applications, including its self-titled iOS and Android apps, and has been used to edit billions of images. By combining an intuitive editing experience with an ever-expanding collection of creative content - including custom photo filters, frames, graphics, and overlays - the platform serves as an imaginative canvas for everyday content creators and professional photographers alike.
The cornerstone of the Aviary platform is a free SDK that provides developers with a robust, customizable photo editor that can be effortlessly embedded into apps on iOS, Android, Windows and Web (HTML5).
The company was founded in 2007 to put professional-quality photo editing tools within thumbs-reach of everyone on the planet. Aviary has since received more than $19 million in funding from top-tier investors such as Spark Capital and Bezos Expeditions. On September 22, 2014, it was acquired by Adobe Systems.
- Aviary Image Markup
- Aviary Advanced Image Editor
- Aviary Color Editor
- Aviary Effects Editor
- Aviary Vector Editor
- Aviary Audio Editor
- Aviary Music Creator
- Phoenix – Image editor. A web-based image editor for retouching and manipulating photos, Phoenix includes layers and an effects editor.
- Peacock – Node based visual laboratory  abilities: dragging, dropping, and connecting generators, effects, resources, and controllers. Users can create stunning art by combining terrains, patterns, computational effects, and more.
- Toucan – Color swatches and palettes creator
- Rookery – Codename for the file system utilized by Aviary.
- Raven – Vector editor. for creating scalable vector art appropriate for logos, T-shirt designs, and ...
- Talon – Chrome & Firefox Screen Capture Add-On. performs a screen capture of the visible portion of any webpage and then open the capture instantly in a basic image editor where you can do markup (draw arrows and rectangles), edit (crop, rotate and resize) and get the exact pixel colors of the image.
- Falcon – Image Markup. Falcon can be used for resizing, cropping, rotating, and other simple editing. it runs extremely fast even on the slowest connections.
- Myna – Audio editor for song record and remix.
- Roc – Beat generator. With about 50 free instruments, able to create music with a simple point and click interface.
In Alpha Testing
Aviary new applications were introduced in alpha testing status. This meant that only 'Pro members' could use them. At the moment there are no new applications under alpha testing; all applications in the suite are available to use for everyone.
On April 18, 2011 Aviary reinvented Alpha testing on their website. Instead of only letting 'Pro members' use the new Alpha versions, everyone could use them. And instead of launching new and unknown tools, they launched new versions of the existing tools with the changes that were suggested by the community and got the most votes.
April's fools day product announcements
- Dodo, branded as a "web-based time machine" and announced on April 1, 2008, was later revealed to be an April Fools joke.
- Crane, branded as the web’s first paper-based image editor was announced on April 1, 2009. But was later revealed to be an April Fools joke.
- Birdstore, promoted as their killer business model was announced on April 1, 2010. But was later revealed to be an April Fools joke.
- Parrot, branded as the voice-activated actions enhancement for the Aviary suite. It was announced on April 1, 2011. But was later revealed to be an April Fools joke.
- Adobe acquires Aviary to boost Creative Cloud app development, Wall Street Journal, September 22, 2014
- Aviary Phoenix - Online photo editing suite, Syntax30.com, April 4, 2012
- Designing a New Breed of Applications with Aviary – InsideRIA
- Aviary launches impressive audio editor, Myna, CNet News, September 16, 2009
- Aviary – Creation on the fly / blog / Dodo: Web-based time machine!
- [dead link]