BIAL IT Investment Region
The Bangalore-BIAL ITIR is a 50 km2 (12,000 acres) IT Investment Region that is under development 15 km North of Bengaluru International Airport. It has received final State cabinet approval on January 28, 2010 and Central approval on June 5, 2010. On July 15, the region received final legislative approval from the state assembly and from the centre on September 20, 2013. The region is situated at the Nandi foothills between Chikballapur and Doddaballapur in the Muddenahalli/ Kanivenarayanapura area. The Karnataka government has set up an empowered committee headed by Former Chief Minister D. V. Sadananda Gowda and IT/BT minister Katta Subramanya Naidu to guide the development of the region.
The ITIR is one of the largest infrastructure projects in Karnataka's history. Total cost is expected to be one trillion rupees ($22 Billion). The initiative will provide direct employment to 1.2 million people and indirect employment to 2.8 million. Development will involve a Centre-State partnership in conjunction with private partners. Basic infrastructure such as road, rail and telecommunication links will be provided by the Centre. The State governments will provide physical infrastructure and utilities, including power, water, sewerage and effluent treatment facilities. The Karnataka State Electronics Development Corporation (KEONICS) has recently issued Expression of Interest (EOI) for developing the region. Over 55 multinational IT companies including Infosys, Wipro, TCS, and Cognizant have signaled an interest in joining and have signed MOUs. The first phase of ITIR spread over 2,500-acre (10 km2) will be completed in by 2012, while the second and third phases will be built over the next five to ten years.
The State government has started the process of land acquisition from farmers and is paying 5.6-7 million rupees per acre and providing up to 11,000 square feet (1,000 m2) of developed land per acre to farmers.
- Jayadevan P K (2009-12-17). "IT Investment Region to create 40 lakh jobs". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Karnataka moves to set up IT investment region near Bangalore". Sify. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Cabinet clears ITIR project". The Times Of India. TNN. 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Karnataka / Bangalore News : State Cabinet approves IT park near Devanahalli airport". The Hindu. 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "ITIR project, a major investment". Stockwatch.in. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "ITIR gets Centre’s approval". The New Indian Express. 2010-06-02. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Front Page : IT Investment Region to be ready in six months". The Hindu. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "IT majors line up for investment region". The New Indian Express. 2010-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- [dead link]