Backstrom (TV series)
|Based on||Backstrom book series by Leif G. W. Persson|
|Developed by||Hart Hanson|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||Far Field Productions
20th Century Fox Television
Backstrom is an upcoming American crime drama series based on the Swedish book series by Leif G. W. Persson and developed by Bones executive producer Hart Hanson. The series stars Rainn Wilson as the lead.
Backstrom centers on Everett Backstrom (Rainn Wilson), an "overweight, offensive, irascible" detective who's engaged in a constant struggle with his "self-destructive" tendencies, who's part of a team of eccentric criminologists.
Cast and characters
- Rainn Wilson as Detective Everett Backstrom, an "overweight, offensive, irascible" detective who tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior. Backstrom has recently been brought back from disgrace to head Portland's newly formed Special Crimes Group, an elite team of like-minded eccentric detectives. He's described as having no filter, who always says what he feels with a clairvoyant hunch. He's a hard-drinking, hard-smoking junk food addict who has been warned to change his unhealthy ways.
- Genevieve Angelson as Detective Nicole Gravely, Backstrom's second in command.
- Page Kennedy as Officer Frank Moto, member of the Special Crimes Unit.
- Kristoffer Polaha as Sgt. Peter Niedermayer, the unit's Forensics Liaison.
- Dennis Haysbert as Detective John Almond, a kind and devoutly religious man who has been married for 30 years.
- Beatrice Rosen as Nadia Chickikov, a foreign-born civilian who supports the detectives in the Special Crimes Group.
- Thomas Dekker as Gregory Valentine, Backstrom's decorator and "underworld connection".
In July 2012, CBS bought Backstrom, a drama based on the Backstrom book series written by renowned Swedish criminologist and novelist Leif G. W. Persson, with a pilot production commitment. CBS has long had an eye on the books, which observers say are well-suited for a CBS procedural. The pilot for the series filmed in Vancouver.
Persson's book series centers on Evert Backstrom. Sometimes described as a detective version of Dr. Gregory House, he is an overweight, offensive, irascible detective as he tries and fails to change his self-destructive behavior. Hart Hanson will write the script and executive produce the project with Persson and his Scandinavian literary agent Niclas Salomonsson. Backstrom is popular in Scandinavia, where Persson’s books have sold more than 6 million copies. The character has appeared in two novels so far, Linda – as in the Linda Murder Case and He Who Kills The Dragon.
- "FOX Cracks the Case with Hart Hanson's New Crime Drama "Backstrom"". The Futon Critic. January 7, 2014. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 17, 2013). "Rainn Wilson to Star in Hart Hanson's 'Backstrom' Adaptation for CBS". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 14, 2014). "Genevieve Angelson Set As Female Lead In Fox Series ‘Backstrom’; Christopher Denham Joins WGN America’s ‘Manhattan’". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 30, 2012). "‘Backstrom’ Crime Drama From ‘Bones’ Creator Hart Hanson And 20th TV Gets Pilot Production Commitment At CBS". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "SHOOT: Rainn Wilson & Dennis Haysbert Film CBS Pilot BACKSTROM in Downtown Vancouver Alley". yvrshoots.com. March 28, 2013. Retrieved January 21, 2014.