Barry Harris (musician)
|Genres||Synthpop, dance, house, rock|
|Occupations||Singer, record producer, songwriter, DJ, musician|
|Associated acts||Kon Kan, Top Kat, Outta Control, Killer Bunnies, Thunderpuss, Sick Seconds|
Barry Harris is a Canadian singer, songwriter, record producer, musician, remixer and DJ. He created the synthpop band Kon Kan in early 1988 which had worldwide success with "I Beg Your Pardon". The song, initially issued on the now defunct Toronto indie label Revolving Records, was quickly discovered and signed by Atlantic Records' A&R rep, Marc Nathan.
He later moved to Los Angeles (1997–2003) and co-created the production team Thunderpuss together with Chris Cox, and produced worldwide hit remixes for Madonna, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston, Enrique Iglesias, Jennifer Lopez, Mary J. Blige, Céline Dion, Cher, Janet Jackson, Spice Girls, LeAnn Rimes, among others. The duo topped the Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play chart more than 20 times.
Throughout his career, Harris has been involved in numerous projects and enjoyed chart success, most notably as one half of the duos Kon Kan and Thunderpuss. Other involvements include work with Terry Kelly in the house project Top Kat, and with Rachid Wehbi and vocalist Kimberley Wetmore in the house/Eurodance project Outta Control which later became known as Killer Bunnies, with Simone Denny on vocals. Harris has also released several solo singles.
After a four year break from the music industry from 2005–2009, Harris exploded back into the dance music scene in the fall of 2009 producing, songwriting and remixing, being the first producer/remixer in 2010 to obtain a Top 5 Billboard chart hit in each of the four decades - 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s.
Harris' discography includes additional co-written hits such as "Dive in the Pool" from Queer as Folk with the catchy line "Let's get soaking wet", the song "Head" which appeared in NBC's Will & Grace, and "I Got My Pride" which appeared in HBO's Sex and the City.
He has produced a wide variety of music styles and genres with artists such as Jennifer Holliday, Taylor Dayne, Paul Robb (Information Society), Engelbert Humperdinck, Donna Summer, Simone Denny, Amber, Micah Barnes and Rachid Wehbi.
Harris is currently active in his rock band, Sick Seconds which was formed in late 2011.
- 1989: Canadian Juno award for "I Beg Your Pardon"
- 2000: ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Award (writer & publisher SOCAN) for "Dive in the Pool"
- 2000: WMC - International Music Award - Best Underground 12" Dance Record
- 2000: WMC Best Remixer - Thunderpuss
- "Barry Harris Interview". Dancemusic.about.com. 2013-07-14. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- "Lost Albums : KON KAN Move To Move". The Electricity Club. 2012-02-18. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- "Barry Harris & Chris Cox Present: Thunderpuss". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- "Thunderpuss & Barnes' "Head" on "Will & Grace"". Chicago.gopride.com. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- "Pride anthems for a new century - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2013-09-12.