|Born||Jackson Barrett Mahon
February 5, 1921
|Died||December 4, 1999
Las Vegas, Nevada
|Other names||T.A. Dee / Barrett Mahon / J. Barrett Mahon / J. Barret Mahon / Jackson B. Mahon / James Michael|
|Occupation||Film director, cinematographer, producer|
|Spouse(s)||Clelle Mahon (? –1999)|
Mahon was born in Bakersfield, California, and learned to fly while in high school. In 1941 he joined the Royal Air Force, and by the winter was flying combat with No. 121 (Eagle) Squadron, composed of American volunteers. Pilot Officer Mahon damaged three German fighters, two FW-190s in April and an Me-109 in May, before scoring his first confirmed victories of two FW-190s, downed in the Saint-Omer area, on June 8, 1942. On July 31 he destroyed two more FW-190s over the Berck-Sur-Mer area and became an Ace while covering the commando raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, his 98th fighter pilot mission. At 08:30, flying his Spitfire Vb, nicknamed "Barry", Mahon shot down an FW-190 and another FW-190 before his plane was hit and he was forced to bail out of the burning ship. Landing in the sea, he was taken prisoner. Although Mahon filed a claim for shooting down two Germans that day, he was only given credit for one after the war. Thus, for a tally-record of five confirmed, two probables, three damaged, and other brave and heroic deeds, Mahon received the British Distinguished Flying Cross in 1985.
Mahon was imprisoned at Stalag Luft III and managed to escape, but was captured on the Czech border when his feet became too sore to go on. He escaped later, only to be recaptured again, and was finally liberated by Patton's 3rd Army in 1945. After the war he became the personal pilot for, and later the manager of, Errol Flynn. Having produced a number of Flynn and Gina Lollobrigida pictures, as well as a considerable output of children's programs, Mahon established The Production Machine, a high-tech film production company in Hollywood, making motion pictures for theatrical and television release. Mahon was the first movie producer to adapt and apply computer technology (as well spreadsheet applications, such as MultiPlan) to the breakdown, scheduling, budgeting and financial analysis of feature-length motion pictures and movies-of-the-week for Columbia Pictures.
T.A. Dee / Barrett Mahon / J. Barrett Mahon / J. Barret Mahon / Jackson B. Mahon / James Michael
Personal and family life
- 1959 – Cuban Rebel Girls
- 1961 – Rocket Attack U.S.A.
- 1961 – The Dead One
- 1967 – Sex Killer
- 1967 – Fanny Hill Meets Dr. Erotico
- 1969 – The Wonderful Land of Oz
- 1970 – Jack and the Beanstalk
- 1970 – Thumbelina' (attached to R. Winer's Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny in 1972)
- 1994 – Nudes, Nudists, and Nudism Vol. 2 (1994) (V) (episode "Art School for Nudists") (Mahon's last movie)
- Frasier, David K. (1998). Russ Meyer : The Life and Films : A Biography and A Comprehensive, Illustrated, and Annotated Filmography and Bibliography. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland & Co. ISBN 0-7864-0472-8.
- Meyer, Russ (2000). A Clean Breast : The Life and Loves of Russ Meyer (3 Volume Set). El Rio, Texas: Hauck Pub Co. ISBN 0-9621797-2-8.