Barry Moser (born 1940) is an artist, known as a printmaker and illustrator of numerous works of literature.
Born in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in 1940, Moser studied at the Baylor School, Auburn University, and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, and did graduate work at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He studied with Leonard Baskin.
Some of his most celebrated work has been his illustrations for Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, each of which consisted of more than a hundred prints, and the former of which won him American Book Award for design and illustration in 1982. He has illustrated nearly 200 other works as well, including The Bible (ISBN 0142005029) and Moby-Dick (ISBN 0520043545) . He has been on the faculty of the Department of Illustration Studies at the Rhode Island School of Design, for many years he was on the faculty of the Williston Northampton School and is currently Professor in Residence and Printer to the College at Smith College.
In 2007 the Smithsonian Art Collectors Program commissioned Moser to create a print for their Small Treasures series, the sales of which benefit educational and cultural programs through the Smithsonian Associates. The resulting relief engraving, An Old Chestnut is on display in the S. Dillon Ripley Center in the National Mall.
Barry Moser also teaches Life Drawing at the Glen East Workshop, held every summer at Pioneer Valley, MA.
- Simon Brett, 'Abigail Rorer & Barry Moser', in Parenthesis; 21 (2011 Autumn), p. 15-17
- Barry Moser, Wood Engraving: the Art of Wood Engraving & Relief Engraving (2006. David Godine)
- Moccasin. Chattanooga, Tennessee: University of Chattanooga. 1962. p. 159. Retrieved 2014.
- Melville, Herman, Moby Dick, or The Whale, University of california Press, Berkeley, CA 1981
- Barry Moser and his own Pennyroyal Press
- 1999 Underdown.org interview
- Gallery of various work
- The Career Cookbook Barry Moser Profile
- Barry Moser's An Old Chestnut, Smithsonian Art Collectors Program
- Barry Moser etchings, engravings, and papers, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- The Papers of Barry Moser at the Dartmouth College Library
- Barry Moser at Library of Congress Authorities, with 144 catalog records