Location of Bazine, Kansas
|• Total||0.44 sq mi (1.14 km2)|
|• Land||0.44 sq mi (1.14 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,129 ft (649 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||328|
|• Density||759.1/sq mi (293.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0475595|
The first post office in Bazine was established in 1874.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Bazine has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 334 people, 135 households, and 92 families residing in the city. The population density was 759.1 inhabitants per square mile (293.1 /km2). There were 179 housing units at an average density of 406.8 per square mile (157.1 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 83.8% White, 2.4% Native American, 12.3% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.7% of the population.
There were 135 households of which 30.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.5% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.9% were non-families. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.01.
The median age in the city was 37.8 years. 28.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.7% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 18.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.4% male and 50.6% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 311 people, 156 households, and 85 families residing in the city. The population density was 713.4 people per square mile (272.9/km²). There were 188 housing units at an average density of 431.2 per square mile (165.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.46% White, 0.32% Native American, 1.29% from other races, and 1.93% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.29% of the population.
There were 156 households out of which 21.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 4.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.5% were non-families. 41.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.99 and the average family size was 2.68.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 4.5% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 23.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 93.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,833, and the median income for a family was $37,500. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $24,375 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,749. About 2.2% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 13.7% of those age 65 or over.
Bazine High School
The last year the school was open, there was a total enrollment of 41 students, 6 of whom graduated. Students were dispersed to other schools in the county including Ness City and Ransom schools.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved September 13, 2011.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc.. Standard Publishing Company. p. 162.
- "Profile for Bazine, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Bazine, Kansas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bazine, Kansas.|
- USD 106, local school district