Photographer: Stanley I. Batkin
|Training||Avni Institute of Art and Design in Tel Aviv, Saint Martin's School of Art, London|
Benni Efrat (born 1936) is an Israeli painter, sculptor, printmaker and filmmaker who was born in Beirut. He immigrated to Palestine in 1947. From 1959 to 1961, he studied at the Avni Institute of Art and Design in Tel Aviv under Yehezkel Streichman (1906–1993).
From 1966 to 1976, he lived in London, where he studied at Saint Martin's School of Art in London. After working in London, Benni Efrat became the first of the Israeli Conceptual artists and influenced others in this direction (e.g., Joshua Neustein, Michael Gitlin, Buky Schwartz). His works were systems of components which spoke for themselves and sought to represent no more than the sum of their parts. In the mid-1970s his displays were accompanied by films, on the back of which the artist had painted. After settling in New York City in 1976, became involved with conceptual art, producing drawings, prints and photographs that explore energy, space and the perception in sculpture. Efrat currently lives in Belgium.
Awards and Prizes
- 1966 America-Israel Cultural Foundation
- 1969 Sixth Paris Biennale for Young Artists
- 1974 Sandberg Prize for Israeli Art, Israel Museum of Jerusalem
- 1992 America-Israel Cultural Foundation
Tel Aviv University
Stain on the Vision, 1999
Zinc coated barbed wire sculpture
Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Tel Aviv
- Benni Efrat collection at the Israel Museum. Retrieved February 2012
- "Benni Efrat". Information Center for Israeli Art. Israel Museum. Retrieved February 2012.
- Art of Benni Efrat at Europeana. Retrieved February 2012
- Bex, F., W. van Mulders, and H. van Pelt, Beyond Surface: Peter Berg, Benni Efrat, Tim Head, Buky Schwartz, Antwerp. Internationaal Cultureel Centrum, 1980.
- Gintz, Claude, Benni Efrat: Quest for Light, Paris, Internationaal Cultureel Centrum, 1982.
- Ikon Gallery, In fusion: New European Art: Ben Bella, Carlos Capelan, Benni Efrat, Chohreh Feyzdjou, Claudio Goulart, Ying Liang, Lea Lubin, As M'Bengue, Flavio Pons, Felix de Rooy, Ohannes Tapyuli, Birmingham, UK, Ikon Gallery, 1993.
- Internationaal Cultureel Centrum, Nature's Factory, Winter 2046, 1888: Benni Efrat and Ronny SomeckWinter 2046, Jerusalem, The Israel Museum, 1998.
- Internationaal Cultureel Centrum, Benni Efrat: Putney Bridge, 1976. Printed After A Film Projected on a Blackboard, Wiped and Scribbled on With White Chalk, New York, Whitney Museum of American Art, 1977.