|• Mayor||Katja Gabriëls (Open VLD)|
|• Governing party/ies||Open VLD, sp.a|
|• Total||37.82 km2 (14.60 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2013)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Area codes||09, 052|
Berlare (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈbɛrlaːrə]) is a municipality located in the Belgian province of East Flanders. The municipality comprises the towns of Berlare proper, Overmere and Uitbergen, as well as the village Donk. The Donkmeer, a large lake and a regional tourist attraction, is located centrally in the municipality. On January 1, 2012, Berlare had a total population of 14,690.
Places of interest
- The church of Saint Martin and a 17th-century pillory in the center of Berlare proper. The Castle of Berlare, also in the town center, was opened to the public in 2012.
- The Bareldonk Chapel, built in the 14th century and expanded in 1774 in Rococo style, is situated in Donk. There is a Way of the Cross and calvary with sculptures by Aloïs De Beule next to the chapel.
- The Donkmeer is a lake, about 86 ha in size, that came into existence through the harvesting of peat.
- Recreation area Nieuwdonk.
- Forested areas with trails include Berlare Broek and the Gratiebossen.
- Riekend Rustpunt is a very small museum about the historic river transport of manure from the city to the countryside.
The Donkmeer is a regional tourist attraction
- Tjörven De Brul, soccer player
- Fred De Bruyne, cyclist and TV commentator
- Karel De Gucht, politician
- Paul Cammermans, film director and actor
- Yves Van Der Straeten, soccer player
- Preben Van Hecke, cyclist
- Frank Van Laecke, theater, opera, musical and TV director
- Jarno Van Mingeroet, cyclist
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2013 (XLS; 607.5 KB)