Bernard L. "Bernie" Krause (born December 8, 1938 in Detroit, Michigan), founder of Wild Sanctuary, an organization dedicated to the recording and archiving of natural soundscapes, is an American musician, author, soundscape recordist and bio-acoustician, who coined the term biophony and helped define the structure of soundscape ecology. Krause holds a Ph.D. with an internship in bioacoustics from Union Institute & University in Cincinnati.
Bernie Krause was born in 1938. By age 3-1/2 he began to study violin and by age 4 classical composition. He performed on cello, bass, viola, harp, banjo, and mandolin, he ultimately settled on the guitar as his main instrument. As late as 1955 not a single American music institution to which he applied as a student would accept guitar as a primary instrument. Nevertheless, Krause contributed as a studio guitarist to jazz, folk and pop sessions, and occasionally, at Motown during the late 50s. He also worked as a recording engineer and producer in Ann Arbor while an undergraduate at the University of Michigan. Krause joined The Weavers in 1963, occupying the position created by co-founder Pete Seeger until they disbanded in early 1964.
After the breakup of The Weavers, Krause moved to the San Francisco Bay Area to study electronic music at Mills College, a time when avant-garde composers such as Karlheinz Stockhausen and Pauline Oliveros lectured and performed there. It was coincidentally the early experimental stages of analog synthesizers, with Don Buchla and Robert Moog testing the expressive range of modular instruments. During this time Krause met Paul Beaver and together, they formed Beaver & Krause. The team played Moog synthesizer on the Monkees recording, "Star Collector" (1967), one of the first pop group recordings to feature synthesizer. In 1968 they released The Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music which was part instructional and part a demonstration of the functions of analog synthesis. It was also the first West Coast recording to utilize Dolby A301 (without meters) noise reduction as an inherent part of their production. Beaver & Krause went on to perform on hundreds of sessions for some of the more important names in music of the time, including The Byrds, The Doors, Stevie Wonder and George Harrison and Van Morrison. In November 1968 Krause was asked by Harrison to demonstrate the synthesizer after performing on a session for an Apple artist, Jackie Lomax, in LA. Unknown to Krause, without his permission and expressly against his wishes, a recording was made of that demonstration and an unauthorized version was released by Harrison titled "No Time Or Space", one side on Harrison's Electronic Sound album released the following year. Because of their extensive studio work in Hollywood, New York, and London, the duo are credited with helping to introduce the synthesizer to pop music and film.
Beaver & Krause, together or individually, also provided synthesizer and/or natural soundscapes for dozens of Hollywood films including Rosemary's Baby, Apocalypse Now, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Performance, Love Story, and Doctor Dolittle', Shipping News, Castaway, and Duma.
Between 1967 and 1972, Beaver & Krause released five albums together, effectively defining the beginning of both the New Age music and Electronica musical movements.[by whom?] After Beaver's death in 1975, Krause found himself more drawn to the recording of natural soundscapes. At the age of 40 he earned a doctoral degree in Creative Arts with an internship in bio-acoustics.
Beaver & Krause's album In A Wild Sanctuary, a synthesized music album recorded in 1968 and '69, was the first to incorporate natural soundscapes as an integral component of the orchestration, to address the theme of ecology, and coincidentally, it was also the first album to be encoded in quadraphonic sound and surround sound.
Since 1979, Krause has concentrated almost exclusively on the recording and archiving pristine sound environments from around the world. These recordings are commissioned as works of art and science by museums for their dioramas and sound installations in many countries, and as ambient tracks for numerous feature films, and as over 50 downloadable field recording albums from the world's rare habitats. The Krause Natural Soundscape Collection now consists of more than 4,500 hours of recordings of over 15,000 species, marine and terrestrial. Sadly, over half of these habitats are now either altogether silent or can no longer be heard in any of their original form. Currently, he is seeking an academic home for his archive and related soundscape programs.
In Fall of 1985 Krause and a colleague, Diana Reiss, helped lure Humphrey the Whale, a migrating humpback that had wandered into Sacramento River Delta and apparently got lost, back to the Pacific Ocean. They used recordings of humpbacks feeding, recorded by two graduate students from the University of Hawaii.
In June, 2013, Krause presented his Soundscape Ecology thesis during a talk at the TED Global Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland. http://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world.html
July, 2014, the Cheltenham Music Festival premiered "The Great Animal Orchestra: Symphony for Orchestra and Wild Soundscapes," a collaboration with friend and colleague, Richard Blackford, former Balliol College Oxford Composer-in-Residence, that was performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, conducted by Martyn Brabbins. Based on his 2012 book of the same title, the work integrates for the first time, natural soundscapes into the orchestral textures of a major symphonic piece. "The Great Animal Orchestra: Symphony for Orchestra and Wild Soundscapes," was recorded immediately following the premier and is scheduled for release on CD by Nimbus Records in September 2014.
His new book, commissioned by Yale University Press, is titled "The Future of Soundscape Ecology," and will be released in early 2015.
Dr. Krause and his wife, Katherine, live in California.
- 1967 Beaver & Krause - The Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music (Nonesuch Records) (Revised and repackaged with new material by Bernie Krause in 1980)
- 1968 Beaver & Krause - Ragnarok - Electronic Funk (Limelight Records)
- 1970 Beaver & Krause - In a Wild Sanctuary (Warner Bros. Records)
- 1971 Beaver & Krause - Gandharva (featuring Mike Bloomfield, Ray Brown, Gerry Mulligan, Gail Laughton, Ronnie Montrose, Howard Roberts, Bud Shank and others) (Warner Bros. Records)
- 1972 Beaver & Krause - All Good Men (Warner Bros. Records)
- 1975 Bernie Krause - Citadels of Mystery (Takoma Records/Chrysalis Records)
- 1981 Bernard Krause - (The New Nonesuch Guide to) Electronic Music (Nonesuch)
- 1986 Bernie Krause - Equator (The Nature Company)
- 1987 Bernie Krause - Nature (The Nature Company)
- 1988 Bernie Krause - Distant Thunder (The Nature Company)
- 1988 Bernie Krause - Mountain Stream (The Nature Company)
- 1988 Bernie Krause - Gentle Ocean (The Nature Company)
- 1988 Bernie Krause - Jungle Shoes/Fish Wrap (CD Single, Rykodisc)
- 1988 Bernie Krause - Morning Songbirds (The Nature Company)
- 1988 Bernie Krause - Sounds of a Summer's Evening (The Nature Company)
- 1989 Bernie Krause - Tropical Jungle (The Nature Company)
- 1989 Bernie Krause - Gorilla (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1988 Bernie Krause & Human Remains - Gorillas in the Mix (Rykodisc)
- 1990 Bernie Krause - Natural Voices/African Song Cycle (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1990 Bernie Krause - Green Meadow Stream (North Sound)
- 1990 Bernie Krause - Woodland Journey (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1990 Bernie Krause - Dawn at Trout Lake (North Sound)
- 1990 Bernie Krause & Philip Aaberg - Meridian (The Nature Company)
- 1990 Bernie Krause - Amazon Days Amazon Nights (North Sound)
- 1991 Bernie Krause - Ocean Wonders (North Sound)
- 1991 Bernie Krause - Tropical Thunder: A Rainstorm in Borneo (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1991 Ruth Happel with Bernie Krause - Loons of Echo Pond (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1991 Bernie Krause, Bob Dorough, Janis Lawrence & Jeff Kohler - Wild Times at the Water Hole (Creatures 'n' Kids)
- 1994 Bernie Krause - Mata Atlantica: A Rare Brazilian Rain Forest (North Sound)
- 1994 Bernie Krause & Ruth Happel - Desert Solitudes (North Sound)
- 1994 Bernie Krause - Ocean Dreams (North Sound)
- 1994 Bernie Krause - Midsummer Nights (North Sound)
- 1994 Bernie Krause - Nature's Lullabyes: Ocean/Rain/Stream (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1994 Bernie Krause - African Adventures (North Sound)
- 1994 Bernie Krause & Philip Aaberg - A Wild Christmas (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 1994 Bernie Krause - Whales, Wolves & Eagles of Glacier Bay (North Sound)
- 1995 Bernie Krause & Louis Sarno - Bayaka (Ellipsis Arts)
- 1995 Bernie Krause & Rodney Franklin - Rhythms of Africa (Miramar Records)
- 1995 Bernie Krause & Rodney Franklin - Ocean Odyssey (Miramar Records)
- 1995 Bernie Krause & Rodney Franklin - Rain Forest Dreams (Miramar Records)
- 1998 Bernie Krause - Kalimantaan: Heaven Before Time (Miramar Records)
- 1998 Bernie Krause - Zimbabwe: Gardens of Eden (Miramar Records)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - African Safari: Zimbabwe (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Alpine Meadow (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Autumn Day in Yellowstone (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Carolina Woods (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Costa Rica: Hidden Treasures (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Galapagos (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause & Lang Elliott - Prairie Winds (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause & Jack Hines - Sequoia High Country (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Sonoma Valley Sunrise (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Spring in Corkscrew Swamp (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Sumatra Days, Sumatra Nights (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2002 Bernie Krause - Winds Across the Tundra (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- 2006 Bernie Krause, Kevin Colver & Martin Stewart - Voice of the Arctic Refuge (Wild Sanctuary Communications)
- Notes From the Wild: The Nature Recording Expeditions of Bernie Krause with companion CD (Ellipsis Arts, 1996, ISBN 1-55961-385-8)
- Into A Wild Sanctuary: A Life in Music & Natural Sound with companion CD (Heyday Books, 1998, ISBN 1-890771-11-2)
- Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voice of the Natural World with companion CD (Wilderness Press, 2002, ISBN 0-89997-296-9)
- "Anatomy of a Soundscape: Evolving Perspectives," J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 56, No. 1/2, 2008 January/February
- The Great Animal Orchestra: Finding the Origins of Music in the World's Wild Places, Little Brown, published March 2012 (ISBN 0-316-08687-8).
- "The Future of Soundscape Ecology," Yale University Press, in press
- "Soundscape Ecology: The Science of Sound in the Landscape," Bryan C. Pijanowski, Luis J. Villanueva-Rivera, Sarah L. Dumyahn, Almo Farina, Bernie L. Krause, Brian M. Napoletano, Stuart H. Gage, and Nadia Pieretti, www.biosciencemag.org March 2011 / Vol. 61 No. 3 BioScience, 203-216, (ISBN 7-25274-05098-7)
- Krause, Bernie, Gage, Stuart H., Joo Wooyeong, "Measuring and interpreting the temporal variability in the soundscape at four places in Sequoia National Park," Landscape Ecology, ISSN 0921-2973, Landscape Ecol, DOI 10.1007/s10980-011-9639-6
- Krause, Bernie, "Bioacoustics: Habitat ambience and ecological balance," (Whole Earth Review, No. 57, Winter, 1987, ISBN 0-70989-39594-7)
- Pijanowski, B. C.; Villanueva-Rivera, L. J.; Dumyahn, S. L.; Farina, A.; Krause, B. L.; Napoletano, B. M.; Gage, S. H.; Pieretti, N. (2011). "Soundscape Ecology: The Science of Sound in the Landscape". BioScience 61 (3): 203. doi:10.1525/bio.2011.61.3.6.
- Jascha Hoffman (2012). "Q&A: Soundscape explorer: Bioacoustician Bernie Krause has travelled the world for decades to gather animal sounds for his Wild Sanctuary archive". Nature 485 (308). doi:10.1038/485308a.
- "Bernard L. Krause". New York Journal of Books. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Notes From the Wild, Krause 1996, Ellipsis Arts
- Into A Wild Sanctuary, Krause 1998, Heyday Books
- Into A Wild Sanctuary, Krause 1998, Heyday Books
- Bernie Krause biography at Wild Sanctuary
- Bernard Krause at the Internet Movie Database
- Bernie Krause: The voice of the natural world, TED, June 2013.