Bill Good in 2014
Bill Good (born 1945) is a Canadian television personality and host of talk radio shows, all in the province of British Columbia. After 21 years with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, first doing radio before moving to TV news, he hosted talk radio at CKNW for 26 years. He also anchored evening news broadcasts on BCTV and CIVT between 1993 and 2010.
His first broadcasting position was as a summer relief announcer at radio station CFPR in Prince Rupert. That led to a permanent job at a newly-opened station CHTK-FM in the same city. After a year he went to CFAX in Victoria and joined the CBC in 1967.
In the 1970s, he worked for CBC Sports, where one of his duties was hosting Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts originating from Vancouver. In 1978, he moved to CBUT in Vancouver, where he anchored NewsCentre until 1988 when he joined CKNW.
In July 2014, Good announced he would retire on August 1 after 26 years at CKNW.
Good is known for his unwavering middle-of-the-road position during on-air interviews, which has helped him to stay in his seat much longer than other, more outspoken local radio personalities.
Family broadcasting history
His father, Bill Good, Sr., was also a well-known sports and newscaster in Vancouver, known as "Breathless Bill" for his four to five hour commercial-free broadcast coverage of Canadian Open and Amateur golf championships.
His brother, John Good, also worked in radio and television, mostly in Toronto and eastern Canada before returning to Vancouver as part of the on-air talent during the launch of a new TV station in the late 1970s. He helped create Sports Page, a longstanding sports program. John Good retired from TV work to enter private business in 1980 and went on to become a successful mining promoter, but not before he created the business program Venture. John Good resides in West Vancouver and Los Angeles, California.
- Lederman, Marsha (July 31, 2014). "Signing off: Bill Good reflects on 50 years in broadcasting". Globe & Mail.
- "End of an era: CKNW’s Bill Good announces retirement". www.cknw.com. CKNW. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Olson, Arv (2012). Backspin: 120 Years of Golf in British Columbia. Heritage House Publishing Co. p. 398. ISBN 192705141X.
- Roy, Cathie (November 20, 2009). "Talk radio is a good thing". Coast Reporter. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- CTV BC biography of Bill Good
- Ravi Baichwal / Bill Good 9/11 interview with Paul Kavanagh
- Vancouver Broadcasters
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|