Blue Thunder (TV series)
|Directed by||Guy Magar|
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original run||6 January 1984 – 16 April 1984|
The series uses the converted Aérospatiale Gazelle helicopter and large portions of stock footage from the 1983 film. A ground unit named "Rolling Thunder" backed up the helicopter in the television series. This was a large support van with a desert camouflage off-road vehicle stored inside.
The television series cast includes James Farentino, Dana Carvey, and former professional American football players Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus. The series was canceled by ABC after they felt the similar Airwolf on CBS would win the ratings battle. Also, the series aired at the same time as the CBS soap opera Dallas on Friday nights, and lost.
Eleven episodes were made before the series was cancelled.
- James Farentino as Frank Chaney
- Dana Carvey as Clinton Wonderlove, aka "JAFO"
- Sandy McPeak as Captain Braddock
- Bubba Smith as "Bubba" Kelsey
- Dick Butkus as "Ski" Butowski
- Ann Cooper as J.J. Douglas
- O'Connor, John J. (6 January 1984). "TV WEEKEND; 'JERK TOO,' 'BLUE THUNDER'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Blue Thunder: The Complete Series". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2010-11-19.
- "Blue Thunder DVD news: A Thundering Change In The Box Art!". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "Blue Thunder: The Complete Series [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: James Farentino, Dana Carvey, Dick Butkus, Bubba Smith: Film & TV". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-28.