Atrocity performs at the Kavarna Rock Fest in 2010
|Origin||Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Genres||Gothic metal, death metal, folk metal, ambient|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast, Roadrunner, Massacre, Motor, Napalm|
|Associated acts||Leaves' Eyes|
Sander van der Meer
First started in 1985 as Instigators and playing grindcore, Atrocity arose as a death metal band with their debut EP, Blue Blood, in 1989, followed soon by Hallucinations, a concept album about drug use. Their second album, Todessehnsucht ("longing for death"), ventured into death metal classics with a cover of "Archangel" by the band Death. Their musical scope broadened over the years, incorporating medieval and horror influences on their 1994 Dracula-based concept album Atrocity's Blut, (styled after the successful film Bram Stoker's Dracula). Atrocity's Blut was followed by Calling the Rain, an MCD with female vocals by guest singer Yasmin Krull and acoustic music.
The 1996 release Willenskraft introduced industrial elements, with the special bonus CD of the album's special edition (Kraft und Wille) including electronic remixes of the songs. The later releases were less and less metallic; Werk 80 featured versions of 1980s disco hits and the band had no apparent direction for the following few years. Unusual MCD-releases and experimental songs like "Lili Marlene" covers (featured on Gemini) estranged many of their original metal fans.
After 2000, nothing had been heard from Atrocity and seemed to have disbanded. However, they returned after four years with a new concept album, Atlantis, centered around the myths of the sunken continent of Atlantis. The album also features the vocals of Alexander's wife, Liv-Kristine Espanaes Krull (formerly in Theatre of Tragedy). The band members also formed the atmospheric metal band Leaves' Eyes, which features Liv Kristine as lead singer.
The release of the eleventh album After the Storm in 2010 started a new era for the band in the Ethno Metal genre. Yasmin Krull returned a second time as guest singer and instrumentalist for the project.
On 11 November 2007, Atrocity announced that bassist Chris Lukhaup was leaving the band for personal reasons and that drummer Moritz Neuner was taking another turn in his working career. Seven Antonopolous was named as the new drummer in late October 2008.
- Alexander Krull - vocals, keyboards, samples (1985-present)
- Thorsten Bauer - guitars (1994-present), bass guitar (2013)
- Sander van der Meer - guitars (2010-present)
- Joris Nijenhuis - drums (2012-present)
- René Tometschek - bass guitar (1985-1988)
- Gernot Winkler (deceased) - drums (1985-1988)
- Mathias Röderer - guitars (1985-2010)
- Frank Knodel - guitars (1985-1988)
- Oliver Klasen - bass guitar (1988-1993)
- Michael Schwarz - drums (1988-1999)
- Richard Scharf - guitars (1988-1994)
- Markus Knapp - bass guitar (1994-1995)
- Christian Lukhaup - bass guitar (1995-2007)
- Martin Schmidt - drums (1999-2005)
- Moritz Neuner - drums (2005-2007)
- Alla Fedynitch - bass guitar (2008-2010)
- Seven Antonopoulos - drums (2008-2010)
- Nicholas Barker - drums (2008)
- JB van der Wal - bass guitar (2010-2013)
- Roland Navratil - drums (2010-2012)
- 1990: Hallucinations
- 1992: Todessehnsucht
- 1994: Blut
- 1996: Willenskraft
- 2000: Gemini
- 2004: Atlantis
- 2010: After the Storm
- 2013: Okkult
- 1995: Calling the Rain
- 1995: Die Liebe
- 1996: Kraft & Wille (Video Collection + The Hunt EP)
- 1997: Werk 80
- 1999: Non Plus Ultra: 1989-1999 (best of...)
- 2008: Werk 80 II
- 2012: Die Gottlosen Jahre
|1994||"B.L.U.T. (Blood-Lust, Under Trance)"||
|1995||"Calling the Rain"||
||Calling the Rain|
|1996||Love Is Dead||
|1997||"The Great Commandment"||
|2000||"Taste of Sin"||
|2006||"Cold Black Days"||
|2008||"The Sun Always Shines on TV"||Silvan Büge||Werk 80 II|
|2009||"Fade to Grey"||
|2013||"Pandæmonium"||Rainer ZIPP Fränzen (Und Action!)||Okkult|
|"Murder Blood Assassination"||
- "Atrocity". laut.de. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Liv Kristine Espanaes". laut.de. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "STORMBRINGER-News: ATROCITY - 'After The Storm' Artwork und Track List enth�llt! (29.06.2010, 00:00 Uhr)". Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "ATROCITY Featuring YASMIN: 'After The Storm' Details Revealed". BlabberMouth. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "Atrocity: 'The Sun Always Shines On TV' Video". Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "ATROCITY Release 'Fade To Grey' Video". bravewords.com. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Atrocity: 'Murder Blood Assassination' Video Released - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atrocity (band).|