|— Golfer —|
|Full name||Robert John Toski|
September 18, 1926 |
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Former tour(s)||PGA Tour
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships
|Masters Tournament||T18: 1951|
|U.S. Open||T17: 1956|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
|PGA Championship||T9: 1950, 1954|
|Achievements and awards|
leading money winner
Robert John Toski, born Algustoski (born September 18, 1926), is an American golfer and teacher.
He was born in Haydenville, Massachusetts of Polish descent. He learned to play at Northampton Country Club, where he caddied and two of his elder brothers were assistant professionals. He joined the PGA Tour in 1949 and was the leading money winner in 1954, winning four times including $50,000 at World Championship of Golf. He left the tour aged 30 so he could spend more time with his young family (perhaps influenced by having lost his own mother at age six), and took a series of jobs as a club professional.
Later he found renewed fame as a leading golf coach, helping pros such as Tom Kite, Bruce Crampton and Judy Rankin. He also wrote several books and made some of the earliest golf instruction videos. In the early 1980s he was a regular on NBC Sports golf telecasts.
Toski began playing on the Senior PGA Tour (now Champions Tour) upon its formation in 1980. He left the Tour in January 1986 after he became involved in a controversy over how he marked his ball in a tournament in Japan. He returned in April 1986 and played several more years on the Tour.
Professional wins (11)
PGA Tour wins (5)
- 1953 (1) Insurance City Open
- 1954 (4) Baton Rouge Open, Azalea Open, Eastern Open, World Championship of Golf
Other wins (4)
this list is probably incomplete
Other senior wins (2)
- 1990 Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf - Legendary Division (with Mike Fetchick)
- 1992 Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf - Legendary Division (with Mike Fetchick)
Results in major championships
Note: Toski never played in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
R128, R64, R32, R16, QF, SF = Round in which player lost in PGA Championship match play
Yellow background for top-10.
- Toski, Bob (1955). Beginner's Guide to Golf. New York: Grosset & Dunlap. ASIN B001CA8L8U.
- Toski, Bob (1971). The Touch System for Better Golf. Golf Digest. ASIN B00921CJVQ.
- Toski, Bob; Aultman, Dick (1980). Bob Toski's Complete Guide to Better Golf. Scribner. ISBN 978-0689705922.
- Toski, Bob (1981). Golf For a Lifetime. New York: Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-0671437411.
- Toski, Bob; Flick, Jim (1984). How to Become a Complete Golfer. New York: Pocket Books. ISBN 978-0671723040.
- How to Feel a Real Golf Swing (with Davis Love Jr.), Random House, 1988
- Find Your Own Fundamentals (with Jim Flick), Golf Digest, 1992
- Bob Toski at the PGA Tour official site
- GolfOnline bio and guide to Toski's coaching theory
- Toski Golf - golf equipment company
- Toski-Battersby Golf Learning Center - Toski's golf school in Florida