|in Kinnerasani Wildlife Sanctuary, Andhra Pradesh, India.|
Triana & Planch.
Extracts of Boswellia serrata have been clinically studied for osteoarthritis and joint function, particularly for osteoarthritis of the knee. Positive effects of Boswellia in some chronic inflammatory diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, bronchial asthma, osteoarthritis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease have been reported. A Boswellia extract marketed under the name Wokvel has undergone human efficacy, comparative, pharmacokinetic studies.Some see Boswellia serrata as a promising alternative to NSAIDs, warranting further investigation in pharmacological studies and clinical trials.
Boswellia serrata has been recently developed for topical use in a patent-pending formula in Sano Relief Gel.
Potential for anti-cancer activity
Boswellic acid, an extract from Boswellia serrata, has been studied for anti-neoplastic activity, especially in experimental primary and secondary brain tumors, indicating potential efficacy from in vitro and limited clinical research. Boswellic acid is also undergoing an early-stage clinical trial at the Cleveland Clinic.
Research on Boswellia serrata
Shallaki has anti-Inflammatory and anti-arthritic property that can reduce the pain and inflammation of the joints of the body. efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in the treatment of osteoarthritis of knee – a randomized double blind placebo controlled study by Kimmatkar N, Thawani N, et al. at MS Orthopaedics, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Nagpur, India, Phytomedicine 2003 Jan; 10 (1) ; 3-7
Mechanism of action
Animal studies performed in India show ingestion of a defatted alcoholic extract of Boswellia decreased polymorphonuclear leukocyte infiltration and migration, decreased primary antibody synthesis and almost totally inhibited the classical complement pathway.
Shallaki has potent analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects that can reduce the pain and inflammation of joints. 
- Shallaki: Medicinal Uses According To AYurveda
- BBC News Health - Frankincense 'can ease arthritis' Friday 01/08/08
- Boswellia serrata: an overall assessment of in vitro, preclinical, pharmacokinetic and clinical data.
- "JOINT RELIEF". www.herbcompanion.com. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Ammon HP."Modulation of the immune system by Boswellia serrata extracts and boswellic acids. [Review]" Phytomedicine. 17(11):862-7, 2010 Sep.
- Open, randomized, controlled clinical trial of Boswellia serrata extract as compared to valdecoxib in osteoarthritis of knee. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2007; 39(1) 27-29
- Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in treatment of osteoarthritis of knee--a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2003 Jan;10(1):3-7.
- Pharmacokinetic study of 11-Keto beta-Boswellic acid. Phytomedicine. 2004 Feb;11(2-3):255-60.
- Abdel-Tawab M, Werz O, Schubert-Zsilavecz M.,"Boswellia serrata: an overall assessment of in vitro, preclinical, pharmacokinetic and clinical data." Clin Pharmacokinet. 2011 Jun 1;50(6):349-69
- Wrinkle breakthrough claim from L'Oreal
- L'Oreal slammed over cream claims
- Acetyl-11-Keto-β-Boswellic Acid Inhibits Prostate Tumor Growth by Suppressing Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptor 2–Mediated Angiogenesis
- LY294002 Enhances Boswellic Acid-induced Apoptosis in Colon Cancer Cells
- A lipoxygenase inhibitor in breast cancer brain metastases
- Phase II Randomized Evaluation of 5-Lipoxygenase Inhibition by Herbal Medicine Approach Compared to Control as an Adjuvant Therapy in Newly Diagnosed and Recurrent High-Grade Gliomas
- Sharma ML, Khajuria A, 1. Kaul A, et al. Effects of salai guggal ex-Boswellia serrata on cellular and humoral immune responses and leukocyte migration. Agents Actions 1988;24:161-164.
- Sharma ML, Bani S, Singh GB. Anti-arthriticactivity of boswellic acids in bovine serum albumin (BSA)-induced arthritis. Int J Immunopharmacol 1989;11:647-652.
- (Planta Med. 1971 Apr; 19(4): 333-41 for analgesic and psychopharmacological effects of gum resin of Boswalia Serrata by Memon MK)
- Abdel-Tawab M, Werz O, Schubert-Zsilavecz M."Boswellia serrata: an overall assessment of in vitro, preclinical, pharmacokinetic and clinical data." Clin Pharmacokinet. 2011 Jun 1;50(6):349-69