Boy in Static
|Boy in Static|
Boy in Static performing live in 2008
|Genres||Indie rock, indietronica|
|Labels||Fake Four Inc
Circle Into Square
|Associated acts||Blue Sky Black Death, 13 & God, The Notwist, Freezepop|
Boy in Static is an indie rock band currently based in San Francisco, California, composed of Alexander Chen and Kenji Ross. The band has toured internationally with bands such as 13 & God, Freezepop, and Lymbyc Systym.
Alexander Chen's recording career began when he sent a demo to Markus Acher of The Notwist, who had recently started his own record label Alien Transistor. A few months later, he received an email from Acher. They met at a The Notwist show in Boston. They decided to release his debut album, Newborn. Chen mastered the album at Abbey Road Studios and it was released in 2004.
In 2005, Boy in Static supported 13 & God, an alternative hip hop group composed of Themselves and The Notwist, opening for their European and US tours. For their Irving Plaza show, Jon Pareles of The New York Times said, "amid the echoes of 1980's bands like New Order, Mr. Chen revealed a strong sense of melody and his own blend of diffidence, longing and tenacity."
Boy in Static's second album Violet was released on Mush Records in May 2007. It was described as "an impressive one-man symphony" by The Boston Globe and "a ballad of electronic snaps and true dream-pop vocals" by URB. Many magazines noted its influences by 1990s shoegaze bands such as Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine, with its "Loveless fascination" (Remix).
- Newborn (2004)
- Violet (2007)
- Candy Cigarette (2009)
- "Lifetime Achievement Award" (2005)
- "Where It Ends" (2008)
- "Young San Francisco" (2009)
- Brown, Marisa. "Boy in Static". Allmusic.
- Wallace, Keith (May 31, 2006). "Boy in Static - Interview". Stylus Magazine.
- Pareles, Jon (September 21, 2005). "German Rock Meets Underground Hip-Hop". The New York Times.
- Suarez, Gary (July 8, 2007). "Boy In Static, "Violet"". Brainwashed.
- "One Man, Many Moods". Boston Globe. June 5, 2007.
- "Boy in Static – Violet (Review)". URB. May 1, 2007.
- "Remix magazine review".[dead link]
- Franks, Allison (October 20, 2008). "Interview: Liz Enthusiasm (of Freezepop)". Consequence of Sound.
- Thiessen, Brock (May 2009). "Boy in Static - Candy Cigarettes". Exclaim!.
- Umile, Dominic (July 6, 2009). "Boy in Static: Candy Cigarette". PopMatters.
- Browner, Nicole L. (April 2, 2010). "Boy In Static goes solo as the 'Consulate General,' album out Tuesday". The Bay Bridged.
- "A Conversation with The Consulate General (Alex Chen of Boy in Static)". AZLTRON. March 22, 2010.
- Glave, Trav (October 15, 2010). "Blue Sky Black Death – Third Party (Review)". URB.