Breeders' Cup Mile
|Breeders' Cup Mile|
|Grade I race|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Website||Official Breeders' Cup website|
|Distance||One mile (8 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Three-years-old & up|
|Weight||Weight for Age|
The Breeders' Cup Mile is a 1-mile (1.6 km) Grade 1 Weight for Age stakes race for thoroughbred racehorses three years old and up, run on a grass course. It has been conducted annually as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships since the event's inception in 1984. All Breeders' Cups to date have been held in the United States except for the 1996 event in Canada.
The purse was raised from $1.5 million US to $2 million in 2007.
Freddy Head has won this race twice as a jockey and three times as a trainer.
In 2012, Wise Dan set a course record with his time of 1:31.78.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that alloted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the fourteen divisions has between three and ten of these "Win and You're In" qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Mile Division, runners are limited to 14 and there are seven automatic berths.
The "Win and You're In" races are:
1. the L'Ormarins Queen's Plate, a Group 1 race at Kenilworth Race Course in Cape Town, South Africa;
2. the Doncaster Mile Handicap, a Group 1 race at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia;
3. the Shoemaker Mile, a Grade 1 race at Hollywood Park Racetrack in Inglewood, California;
4. the Prix Jacques Le Marois, at Deauville Racecourse in Deauville, France;
5. the Woodbine Mile, a Grade 1 race at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario, Canada;
6. the Shadwell Turf Mile, a Grade 1 race at Keeneland in Lexington, Kentucky and
7. the Prix de la Foret, a Group 1 race at Longchamp Racecourse in Paris, France.
- 3 - Goldikova (2008, 2009,2010)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 3 - Olivier Peslier (2008, 2009, 2010)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 3 - Freddy Head (2008, 2009, 2010)
Most wins by an owner:
- 5 - Flaxman Holdings / Niarchos family (1987, 1988, 1997, 2002, 2003)
- 3 - Wertheimer et Frère (2008, 2009, 2010)
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Mile since 1984
† Indicates filly/mare
- Breeders' Cup Mile "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- Ten Things You Should Know about the Breeders' Cup Mile at Hello Race Fans!
- Three Great Moments: Breeders' Cup Mile at Hello Race Fans!