Boom goes the dynamite
Boom goes the dynamite! is the enthusiastic catchphrase coined by Ball State University sportscaster Brian Collins while covering the March 22, 2005 NBA game between the Indiana Pacers and New Jersey Nets. The phrase can be heard as Pacers shooting guard Fred Jones hits a 3 with 2:03 left in the first quarter.
During his freshman year, Collins agreed to appear on Ball State University's campus newscast in place of the regular sportscaster, who was ill. The teleprompter was operational, but an inexperienced operator accidentally fast-forwarded through the script, leaving Collins with no choice but to ad-lib most of his script. Eventually posted on YouTube, the newscast is now known as "the Collins incident" in communications classes.
A trademark application on the phrase was filed but ultimately abandoned by a San Diego-based speculator who offered it on t-shirts, saying that part of the proceeds would go to a scholarship fund at Ball State for journalism students.
Collins, among other internet stars, is set to star in the upcoming film The Chronicles of Rick Roll.
The line Collins made famous has appeared in popular television programs.
- It is a catchphrase of animated character Cleveland Brown during or immediately following coitus.
- Cleveland first used in the Family Guy seventh season premiere episode, "Love Blactually."
- The phrase followed Cleveland to his spin-off, The Cleveland Show. During the January 23, 2011 episode, "Like a Boss", Cleveland uses the phrase during spontaneous, off-camera sex in the living room with his wife
- He and Donna utter it twice and once, respectively, in the December 4, 2011 episode, "Sex and the Biddy".
- In the January 27, 2013 episode, "Wide World of Cleveland Show", one of Cleveland's international catchphrases (specifically from Australia) was "And boomerang goes the dynamite."
- In "The Boy Can't Help It" episode of King of the Hill, one of Bobby Hill's "girlfriends" uses the phrase while they are playing video games at the Hill's house.
- In Pride FC "Best of Knockouts, Vol. 2," Mauro Ranallo used the line to describe the "Fastest Knockout" segment of the program.
- In the episode of How I Met Your Mother titled "I Heart NJ", Stella introduces her basement as "the coolest bar in the state, which is so close it will blow your mind," using the line.
- In the Veronica Mars episode "Welcome Wagon," Veronica uses the line when the police open a garage full of stolen goods.
- On the October 15, 2008 episode of The Colbert Report, Colbert uses the line while providing commentary on an unexciting chess match during his "Sport Report" segment.
- Will Smith used the line after a mispronunciation during the 81st Academy Awards.
- A character in Wanted uses "Boom goes the dynamite." 
- On the March 12, 2009 episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, host Jon Stewart exclaimed "Boom goes the dynamite!" after insulting Jim Cramer.
- In the Disney series Jonas, Kevin Jonas uses the line when his father says that Kevin's mother was the 23rd love of his life.
- Big D and the Kids Table's song "Doped Up Dollies On a One-Way Ticket to Blood" from their 2009 album, Fluent in Stroll, opens with the lyric "Boom goes the dynamite, dynamite, dynamite, boom goes the dynamite, dynamite, boom!"
- Borderlands for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3 has an achievement titled "Boom Goes the Dynamite!" for killing 50 enemies with explosive-based attacks.
- Keith Olbermann has used the phrase during highlights on Football Night in America and on occasion on his self-titled Countdown program.
- In 2010, Woody and Rizzuto Show sports reporter Tony Patrico started using the phrase, "Boom Goes The Dynamite" on KPNT after he botched up the sports reports numerous times. He closes every sports segment with Brian's famous line.
- In the Travel Channel show Man vs. Food, during a live eating challenge at Shula's Steakhouse before Super Bowl 44, after an awkward comment from one of the color commentators for the challenge, host Adam Richman used the phrase.
- In the season 2 premier of Warehouse 13, Claudia uses the line when Artie exposes a chameleon mine. Also said by Claudia in the season 3 episode Don't Hate the Player, when retrieving game-Leena's feather from her inventory.
- In the popular online video series, Marvel vs. DC by ItsJustSomeRandomGuy, Deadpool uses this line after shooting Watchmen star The Comedian.
- The line is spoken by the title character in the satirical Broadway musical Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.
- In Episode 3 of "Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse", a game by TellTale Games, "...and boom goes the dynamite" is one of several lines that can be heard from the radio sports announcer when the player is waiting to hear the finishing move that "Skunkape" uses on his opponent.
- In the November 22, 2010 episode of House M.D. entitled "Small Sacrifices" (Season 7, Episode 8), Dr. Gregory House, portrayed by Hugh Laurie, exclaimed, "Boom goes the dynamite, scores are tied, and we are even-steven!" after purportedly catching Dr. Lisa Cuddy, portrayed by Lisa Edelstein, in a lie.
- During the January 24, 2011 episode of Gossip Girl, 12th episode of Season 4 "The Kids Are Not Alright" Nate Archibald's recently paroled father wins a Wii Tennis Game against two women in maids outfits and exclaims, "Boom Goes the Dynamite".
- While giving the Fox 4 (Kansas City) morning weather report on February 1, 2011, Don Harman utters a "Boom goes the dynamite" at the 2:00 mark in regards to a sudden precipitation expansion on the radar replay.
- NBA Jam (2010 video game) includes "Boom goes the dynamite" as one of the many one-liners used when players score a basket.
- In the pilot episode of Breaking In, Cassius "Cash" Sparks uses the phrase as he continually pranks the new team member.
- Brian was featured in the "Web Redemption" segment of the May 24, 2011 episode of Tosh.0 
- In the episode of Dan for Mayor on July 17, 2011 entitled The Art of Gambling, Deputy Mayor Alan is heard saying "...boom goes the dynamite" in a conversation with a new artist.
- In a Kiowa Casino commercial near Lawton, Oklahoma, after an old woman wins a poker hand, she slams the cards down on the table and says "And boom goes the dynamite!"
- In the video game Saints Row: The Third, the achievement/trophy for completing all instances of the "Heli Assault" activity is called "And Boom Goes the Dynamite."
- In the video game APB:Reloaded, the Steam achievement for killing all the enemy players at a time by making a vehicle explode is called "Boom goes the Dynamite"
- On the NBC Sports Report during the 2012 Bay Hill Invitational, host Jimmy Roberts uses the phrase, "and as a sportscaster once famously said, 'Boom goes the dynamite.'", while reporting on the implosion of the Amway Arena in Orlando, Florida.
- In the episode "Waiting on a Friend" of the TNT show Franklin and Bash, Franklin uses the line "Boom Goes the Dynamite" when the duo makes a breakthrough in their case.
- In the video game Orcs Must Die the protagonist often can be heard proclaiming "Boom Goes the Dynamite" when a trap is successful in killing many orcs
- It's a line from the BreakyCPK Announcer pack in the video game Heroes of Newerth when the player gets a smackdown.
- "Boom Goes the Dynamite" is the title of an episode of the ABC Television show Scandal. It originally aired on February 21, 2013. The phrase is also said by a character during the episode.
- One of the achievements in the video game Tomb Raider is named "Boom Goes the Dynamite".
- In the video game Saints Row IV upon causing mass destruction with certain guns, the character will shout "Boom goes the dynamite!".
- The character Kim Crawford uses it repeatedly in the Disney XD show Kickin' It.
- Allan, Marc D. (September 2005). "Boom Baby". Indianapolis Monthly (Emmis Communications): 90–96. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Wojciechowski, Gene. "Despite 'worst' sportscast, Collins says he'd try again". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- Coyle, Jake (2007-07-31). "TV Anchors Subjected to Ridicule Online". Washington Post (Associated Press). Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- Dakss, Brian (2005-06-13). "Phrase Originator Tells How It Happened, And About The Response". CBS News. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- USPTO trademark status for application no. 78620419
- "Get ready for the return of the "Numa Numa" guy". CBS News. 2011-02-27. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Family Guy". 6ACX03. 2008-09-28.
- "King of the Hill". DABE12. 2009-09-13.
- "How I Met Your Mother". 4ALH02. 2008-10-06.
- Eng, Joyce (2000-02-23). "Top 2009 Oscar Moments". TV Guide. Retrieved 2009-02-23.