Broombridge railway station
|Local authority||Dublin City Council|
|Platforms in use||2|
|2 July 1990||Station opens|
|Iarnród Éireann - Ireland railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Broombridge is a railway station serving Cabra, Dublin 7, Ireland. It lies on the southern bank of the Royal Canal at the western end of what had been Liffey Junction station on the erstwhile Midland Great Western Railway. It takes its name from Broome Bridge, which crosses the canal, a place best known as where William Rowan Hamilton discovered the mathematical notion of quaternions. A plaque on the adjacent canal bridge commemorates this.
Both platforms are accessible. It is the last station approaching Dublin served by both branches of the Western Commuter line, before the line splits between trains heading to Connolly Station and those going to Docklands.The station is unstaffed and has been subject to vandalism significant and sustained enough for Iarnród Éireann to be concerned and questions asked about it in the Dáil. There is no shelter for passengers or seating facilities in place. In the 2010s, additional security measures were added and some seating and decoration was added in advance of the station's redesign as part of the Luas Cross City project.
The station was opened on 2 July 1990.
|Luas Cross City Green Line extension|
On 10 November 2011, the government announced in its 2012–16 Infrastructure and Capital Investment plan that the project to link the Red and Green lines, known as BXD, was to proceed. No other new lines or extensions are being funded. Construction work for the bridge across the River Liffey (connecting Marlborough St and Hawkins St) began in April 2012, which the southbound Luas BXD track will be laid on. A Railway Order was granted by ABP for the Luas BXD line on 3 August 2012.
Work on building the line commenced in June 2013 as the LUAS Cross City Project with services beginning in 2017.
- Irish Rail Broombridge Station Website
- Eiretrains - Broombridge Station
- LUAS Cross City Line Project Website
|Preceding station||Iarnród Éireann||Following station|
- Growing fears at attacks on trains in west Dublin, The Irish Times, 7 Jul 2004. Retrieved 12 August 2009.
- Dáil Éireann - Volume 593 - 25 November 2004, Written Answers. - Rail Services.
- Dáil Éireann - Volume 543 - 6 November 2001. Written Answers. - Transport Safety.
- "Broombridge station". Railscot - Irish Railways. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- "Metro North, DART underground plans shelved". RTÉ News. 10 November 2011.
- "Infrastructure and Capital Investment 2012–16". Department of Public Expenditure and Reform. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Do we need €15m Liffey bridge?". Evening Herald. 28 April 2012.
- "Green light given to Luas link-up, first passengers 2017". RTÉ. Retrieved 5 August 2012.