Buies Creek, North Carolina
|Buies Creek, North Carolina|
Location of Buies Creek, North Carolina
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||213 ft (65 m)|
|• Density||974.0/sq mi (376.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0982191|
Buies //  Creek is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Neills Creek Township of Harnett County, North Carolina, United States and is the home of Campbell University. The population was 2,215 at the 2000 census. Buies Creek is a part of the Dunn Micropolitan Area, which is also a part of the greater Raleigh–Durham–Cary Combined Statistical Area (CSA) as defined by the United States Census Bureau.
Buies Creek is located at (35.410232, -78.974165).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2), of which, 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2) of it is land and 89.27% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,215 people, 612 households, and 211 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 974.0 people per square mile (376.7/km²). There were 698 housing units at an average density of 306.9 per square mile (118.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 84.20% White, 10.16% African American, 0.36% Native American, 2.71% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 1.31% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.08% of the population.
There were 612 households out of which 11.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 28.3% were married couples living together, 4.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 65.5% were non-families. 43.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.92 and the average family size was 2.71.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 6.4% under the age of 18, 66.2% from 18 to 24, 13.4% from 25 to 44, 7.0% from 45 to 64, and 7.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 21 years. For every 100 females there were 80.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $21,019, and the median income for a family was $39,688. Males had a median income of $25,329 versus $31,216 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $10,117. About 13.8% of families and 36.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.7% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over. It is also the home of many farms.
Colleges and universities
- Paul Green, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
- Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal, comedian duo and TV personalities known as Rhett and Link.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Talk Like A Tarheel, from the North Carolina Collection's website at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- 1967 Session Laws of North Carolina, Chapter 1145 (accessed 14 February 2007)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.