Bumblebee Conservation Trust
|Bumblebee Conservation Trust|
|Legal status||Non-profit organization|
|Purpose/focus||Bumblebees in the UK|
|Location||School of Biological & Environmental Sciences, University of Stirling, FK9 4LA|
|Membership||British bumblebee conservationists|
|Chief Executive||Lucy Rothstein|
The Bumblebee Conservation Trust is an organisation in the UK that makes efforts to conserve bumblebees and their habitat.
The Bumblebee Conservation Trust was established in 2006 with a grant of £49,900 from the Heritage Lottery Fund.  In the last 80 years bumblebee populations have declined  - two UK species have become nationally extinct and several others have declined dramatically.
The charity has four main aims:
- The prevention of the extinction of any of the UK’s bumblebees .
- A long-term future for all bumblebees and other pollinators which support the ecosystem service of pollination.
- The protection, creation and restoration of flower-rich habitats.
- An increase in the understanding and appreciation of bumblebees .
In 2012 the Bumblebee Conservation Trust launched its national Bees for Everyone project to raise public awareness of the threats bumblebees face and to help rare bumblebees through active conservation work to safeguard, restore and create habitats for them.[not in citation given]
The Bumblebee Conservation Trust is a charitable organisation registered with the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator and Charity Commission for England and Wales.The Trust has over 1,000 members.
It's offices in Scotland are located at the University of Stirling and it has registered offices in Eastleigh, near Southampton. The Trust also has a number of conservation staff based remotely across the UK in the areas where the UK's rarest bumblebees occur.
- "Bumblebee Conservation - Heritage Lottery Fund". hlf.org.uk. 2013 [last update]. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Goulson, D. (2010) Bumblebees – behaviour, ecology, and conservation (2nd edition) Oxford University Press, Oxford. ISBN 978-0-19-955307-5
- Heritage Lottery Fund BfE project page
- "Wildlife Extra - Good Causes - The Bumblebee Conservation Trust". wildlifeextra.com. 2013 [last update]. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
|This bumblebee-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|