|Born||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Occupation||true crime author, novelist, journalist|
|Subjects||True crime, biography|
|Notable work(s)||Lost Girls
My Life, Deleted
Biography and education
As a toddler, she moved with her family from the Canadian province of Quebec to California. She attended La Jolla High School. In 1984, she graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of California, Berkeley. In 1987, she graduated with a master's degree from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.
In the late 1980s, she wrote for the Berkshire Eagle and the Springfield Union-News in Massachusetts. She moved back to California and, in 1992, was hired by the Los Angeles Daily News after working a year as a full-time freelancer for the Los Angeles Times. Beginning in 1993, she worked as a metro news and investigative reporter for The San Diego Union-Tribune. She left the paper in 2006 to write full-time as an author.
Rother co-authored the memoir of Scott Bolzan, a former NFL player, titled My Life, Deleted about how Bolzan rebuilt his life after suffering permanent retrograde amnesia. The book was released by HarperCollins in October 2011. It made the New York Times bestseller list for two weeks on October 23, 2011 at #16 for ebooks non-fiction and #29 for combined hardcover and ebooks non-fiction, and on October 30 at #29 for combined hardcover and ebooks non-fiction.
In July 2012, Rother wrote the book Lost Girls about convicted killer and sexual predator John Albert Gardner and his motivation for murdering San Diego-area teenagers Chelsea King and Amber Dubois. It was released by Kensington Books.
She teaches creative non-fiction, creative writing and journalism at the University of California, San Diego extension.
She has appeared on national television and radio shows, including Nancy Grace, E! channel's "Women Who Kill," Investigation Discovery channel, Oxygen network's "Snapped," "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren," and The Jay Thomas Show and “America at Night” radio programs.
- Lost Girls (July 2012) (ISBN 978-0786022182)
- My Life Deleted (Oct 2011) (ISBN 978-0062025470)
- Deadly Devotion/Where Hope Begins (July 2011) (ISBN 978-1439131510)
- Dead Reckoning (Feb 2011) (ISBN 978-0786022175)
- Twisted Triangle (April 2009) (ISBN 978-0470442517)
- Body Parts (March 2009) (ISBN 978-0786019540)
- Poisoned Love (July 2005) (ISBN 978-0786022199)
- Naked Addiction (Nov 2007) (ISBN 978-0843959956)
- "New York Times Best Sellers". New York Times. October 23, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "New York Times Best Sellers". New York Times. October 23, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "New York Times Best Sellers". New York Times. October 30, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- Bordow, Scott (August 16, 2009). "Gilbert man struggles to remember his life". East Valley Tribune. Retrieved November 24, 2012.
- "'Lost Girls' book explores murders of Amber Dubois and Chelsea King". KFMB-TV8. June 26, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Transcripts: Nancy Grace". CNN. January 24, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Interview: Caitlin Rother, Author of Dead Reckoning". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. April 26, 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-24.