|Comune di Canazei|
|Frazioni||Alba, Gries, Penia and Canazei|
|• Mayor||Mariano Cloch|
|• Total||67.3 km2 (26.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,842 m (6,043 ft)|
|• Density||27/km2 (70/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Florian|
Canazei (Ladin: Cianacèi, German: Kanetschei, Kanzenei or Kanascheid) is a comune (municipality) in Trentino in the northern Italian region Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, located in the upper part of the Val di Fassa, about 110 km northeast of Trento. Its name derives from the Latin word cannicetus (cane thicket).
Canazei is the base station for many excursions and rock climbs to the Sella, Marmolada and Sassolungo Groups.
Located at the base of the Pordoi, Sella and Fedaia passes, Canazei is well connected to the rest of Val di Fassa, Val Gardena and Livinallongo.
Canazei is crossed by the main road SS48 that connects Ora in the Adige Valley to Cortina d'Ampezzo.
Canazei center and Marmolada in the evening
- Gran Festa da d'Istà (Great Summer Feast - in Ladin): on the first Sunday in September with traditional folk parade
- Te Anter i Tobiè: on the second week-end in July
- Chiesetta della Madonna della Neve
The church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Snow, is located at Gries, one of the Canazei hamlets, and was built in 1595; it has a characteristic onion-domed bell tower and on the South facade there is an image of S. Christopher, painted in the 18th century.
- Chiesetta di San Floriano
The church is located in the centre of the village and was built in 1592.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Artoni, Carlo (1994) 250 Itinerari in Val di Fassa, p.146. Azienda di Promozione Turistica della Valle di Fassa
- "Tav. I.5 - Appartenenza alla popolazione di lingua ladina, mochena e cimbra, per comune di area di residenza (Censimento 2001)". Annuario Statistico 2006 (in Italian). Autonomous Province of Trento. 2007. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
Media related to Canazei at Wikimedia Commons
|This Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|