Walkden, Lancashire, England
|Known for||television gardening programmes|
Carol Klein (born 1945) is an English gardening expert, who also works as a television presenter and newspaper columnist.
Born in Walkden, Lancashire, in 1945, Carol attended Bolton School and then trained as an art teacher and taught in schools in the London area before moving to Devon. There she taught at North Devon College before setting up her own plant nursery, Glebe Cottage Plants.
She made her television debut on Gardeners' World in 1989 and has since presented other gardening programmes such as Real Gardens and Open Gardens.
Recent projects include Life in a Cottage Garden with Carol Klein which follows a year in the life of Klein's garden at Glebe Cottage in North Devon, and Grow Your Own Veg, which encouraged people to start growing their own vegetables. Each week the programme looked at a different group of crop plants or techniques suitable for home gardening. Both programmes were made for BBC Two and she has also been a permanent presenter of Gardeners' World since 2005.
Klein has been described as having a "weather-beaten face, forthright manner and fruity accent – mainly West Country but with hints of her native Manchester.."
In 2013, she presented two episodes of Great British Garden Revival.
Klein is married and has two daughters.
As well as television work, Klein has written a number of bestselling books for Mitchell Beazley and also writes for various gardening publications such as BBC Gardeners' World magazine as well as a column for British newspaper, The Guardian.
- Plant Personalities: Choosing and Growing Plants by Character with Jonathan Buckley (Cassell Illustrated, 2004) ISBN 1-84403-046-6
- RHS Grow Your Own Veg (Mitchell Beazley, 2007) ISBN 978-1-84533-293-8
- RHS Grow Your Own Fruit (Mitchell Beazley, 2008) ISBN 978-1-84533-434-5
- RHS Grow Your Own Veg Journal (Mitchell Beazley, 2008) ISBN 978-1-84533-471-0
- Cook Your Own Veg (Mitchell Beazley, 2008) ISBN 978-1-84533-407-9
- Carol Klein at the Internet Movie Database
- A firm favourite - Article by her in The Guardian, Saturday July 28, 2007
- Grow your own Veg - BBC television programme
- Portrait of her at the National Portrait Gallery
- Life in a Cottage Garden - BBC television programme
- Biography and career