Carolina Beach, North Carolina
|Carolina Beach, North Carolina|
Carolina Beach Pier
Location of Carolina Beach, North Carolina
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||2,086.4/sq mi (805.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0982655|
Carolina Beach is a town in New Hanover County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 5,052 at the 2000 census and 5,706 at the 2010 census. It is located on part of the Wilmington metropolitan area. The community of Wilmington Beach was annexed by the town in 2000.
Carolina Beach is located at (34.036796, -77.896939).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2).2.2 square miles (5.8 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (8.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,296 households, and 1,253 families residing in the town. The population density was 2,086.4 people per square mile (806.7/km²). There were 4,086 housing units at an average density of 1,813.5 per square mile (701.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.94% White, 1.19% African American, 0.60% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.17% from other races, and 0.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.77% of the population.
There were 2,296 households out of which 18.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.5% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.4% were non-families. 35.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.03 and the average family size was 2.59.
In the town the population was spread out with 14.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 34.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 44 years. For every 100 females there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $37,662, and the median income for a family was $44,882. Males had a median income of $31,013 versus $21,241 for females. The per capita income for the town is $24,128. About 4.4% of families and 9.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.9% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
The Island Gazette is the official newspaper for this area.
Points of interest
- LORAN-C transmitter Carolina Beach
- Fort Fisher
- Kure Beach Pier
- Carolina Beach Pier
- North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Carolina Beach City Park is located northeast of the Dow Road South and Sumter Avenue intersection and was completed in 2007 at a cost of $200,000 (reference?)
- Carolina Beach skate park is part of the city park on Dow road features a skate park, euro gaps and is free to visitors
- Carolina Beach Lake is on Atlanta Ave features gazebos, playground and picnic area and the annual "Light up the Lake" celebration.
- Every summer (Late May - August) enjoy film and fireworks series. Films on Sundays at the Lake and fireworks every Thursday around 9:00 pm.
- There is a proposed community pool that has not yet been approved (proposed location?)
- Britt's Donuts was named by Food & Wine as number 15 best donuts in America in 2014. Open summers only.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carolina Beach, North Carolina.|
- Carolina Beach NC 411
- Carolina Beach InsiderInfo.us Area Guide
- Carolina Beach Surf Report
- Carolina Beach Lifeguard Stand Locations & Beach Information
- Official Town of Carolina Beach, NC website
- Carolina & Kure Beaches Chamber of Commerce