Carolina Beach, North Carolina
|Carolina Beach, North Carolina|
Carolina Beach Pier
Location of Carolina Beach, North Carolina
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||2,086.4/sq mi (805.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0982655|
Carolina Beach is a town in New Hanover County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 5,052 at the 2000 census and 5,706 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Wilmington metropolitan area. The community of Wilmington Beach was annexed by the town in 2000.
Carolina Beach is located at (34.036796, -77.896939).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2).2.2 square miles (5.8 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (8.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2013, there were 2,296 households, and 1,253 families residing in the town. The population density was 2,086.4 people per square mile (806.7/km²). There were 4,086 housing units at an average density of 1,813.5 per square mile (701.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.94% White, 0.39% African American,0.50% Asian, and 0.17% from other races.
There were 2,296 households out of which 18.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.5% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.4% were non-families. 35.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.03 and the average family size was 2.59.
In the town the population was spread out with 14.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 34.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 44 years. For every 100 females there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $37,662, and the median income for a family was $44,882. Males had a median income of $31,013 versus $21,241 for females. The per capita income for the town is $24,128. About 8.4% of families and 14.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.9% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Points of interest
- LORAN-C transmitter Carolina Beach
- Fort Fisher
- North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher
- Carolina Beach State Park
- The Boardwalk- Complete with Britts Donuts shop that has been open and family operated since 1939, the Carolina Beach Boardwalk is a can't miss when in the area. The shop opens bright and early, in order to by pass the long line that stretches down the length of the boardwalk, grab a stool at the counter. Seated customers are served first, the only catch is that one donut must be eaten at the counter. In addition to the famous donut shop there are several eateries, two pizza shops, an ice cream store, a snow cone stand, as well as a sit down restaurant can all be found down the small strip. In the summer beach goers can also enjoy the rides and games located just off the boardwalks concrete stretch. Live music and fireworks are also not to be missed in the summer. If you're looking for year-round entertainment guests can always visit the arcade or gift shops that are also located on the main stretch.
- Homesite (31Nh95**1), Joy Lee Apartment Building and Annex, and Newton Homesite and Cemetery are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carolina Beach, North Carolina.|