|Pronunciation||Kar' pen ti ar|
|Meaning||worker or fixer of wood, builder of wood|
|Related names||Carpenter (surname), Zimmermann, Zimerman, Zimmerman, Charpentier|
Origin: [900-1000] Charpentier - Old French < Late Latin; carpentarius artifex or wainwright, equivalent to Latin carpent(um) two wheeled carriage ( < Celt; cf. OIr carpad chariot) + arius - ARY; see ER2. Carpentier was a surname in France at least as early as 1549, when Marin Carpentier of Brix, France was mentioned in Gilles, Sire de Gouberville's journal of country life in Normandy.
Carpentier may refer to:
- Alain Carpentier (born 1933) French heart surgeon
- Alejo Carpentier (1904–1980) Cuban writer and musicologist
- Édouard Carpentier (1926-2010) French professional wrestler
- Évariste Carpentier (1845-1922) Belgian painter
- Georges Carpentier (1894–1975) French boxer
- Horace Carpentier (1824–1918) lawyer and first mayor of Oakland, CA
- Jules Carpentier (1851–1921) French engineer and inventor
- Marcel Carpentier (1895–1977) French military officer
- Marguerite Jeanne Carpentier (1886–1965) French painter and sculptor
- Maritie and Gilbert Carpentier (Maritie 1922–2002, Gilbert 1920–2000), married French TV producers
- Patrick Carpentier (born 1971) Canadian race car driver
- Pieter de Carpentier (c. 1586–1659) Dutch or Flemish administrator of the Dutch East India Company
- Prudent Carpentier (born 1922) Canadian politician
- Allen Carpentier, protagonist in Niven & Pournelle's Inferno (novel)
|Look up carpentier in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|This page or section lists people with the surname Carpentier. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
- Combined from several sources including: "Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary" 1996 by Barnes & Noble Books and "Concise Oxford Dictionary - 10th Edition by Oxford University Press.
- Fedden, Katharine. 1933. Manor Life in Old France. New York: Columbia University Press. p. 159.