Catalyst (TV program)
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (August 2010)|
|Presented by||Graham Phillips|
|Theme music composer||David Chapman, Zig Zag Lane|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||11|
|No. of episodes||320+|
|Executive producer(s)||Nick Lee|
|Producer(s)||Paul Schneller, Matthew Lovering, Adam Collins, Karen Appathurai|
|Editor(s)||Chris Spurr, Lile Judickas|
|Camera setup||Kevin May|
|Running time||30 Minutes|
|Picture format||480p (SD)|
|Original run||2001 – present|
|Preceded by||Quantum (1985–2001)|
Catalyst is the ABC's primary science journalism television series and the only science show on primetime television in Australia. Launched in 2001, it replaced Quantum, which had ceased the previous year. Catalyst is regularly broadcast at 8:00 pm on Thursdays and at 11:00 am Fridays. Catalyst celebrates its tenth year of production in 2010.
The show broadcasts stories on scientific themes, and in particular significant recent developments and discoveries. It focuses primarily on stories relevant to Australia, but the series covers international developments as well. It attempts to convey information in a way that is not only accurate but also interesting and informative to the general population, often discussing the ethical, political, and other implications of scientific discoveries and research as well as the discoveries themselves.
The show's website describes it as follows:
At Catalyst we know that science is a dynamic force for change.
Each week Catalyst brings you stories from Australia and around the world.
Our passion to meet scientists at the forefront of discovery is matched by our fascination with science breakthroughs however big or small.
Science changes all our lives.
For better or worse, we are committed to showing you what our future holds.
The Catalyst team is composed of specialised science journalists, each with different specialisations and roles.
- Dr. Maryanne Demasi, science journalist
- Mark Horstman, tropical biologist
- Ruben Meerman
- Dr. Jonica Newby, veterinary scientist
- Dr. Graham Phillips, astrophysicist
- Anja Taylor
- Dr. Derek Muller, physicist
- Karina Kelly (presenter until Maryanne Demasi joined the team in 2006)
- Dr. Richard Smith, marine biologist
- Maryke Steffens, microbiologist
- Matthew Scully
- List of Australian television series
- Meerkat Manor
- Orangutan Island
- List of longest-running Australian television series
- "About Catalyst". Catalyst. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 18 June 2009.
- "Corporate Psychopaths". Catalyst. ABC TV Science. Retrieved 5 February 2008.
- "The Truth About Vitamins". Catalyst. ABC TV Science. Retrieved 5 February 2008.
- "Smell and Schizophrenia". Catalyst. ABC TV Science. Retrieved 5 February 2008.