Municipal office in Cavan
|• Mayor||John A. Fallis|
|• Federal riding||Haliburton—Kawartha Lakes—Brock|
|• Prov. riding||Haliburton—Kawartha Lakes—Brock|
|• Land||306.22 km2 (118.23 sq mi)|
|• Density||28.1/km2 (73/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Postal code||L0A 1G0|
Cavan–Monaghan (known as Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan until 2007) is a township in Peterborough County in central-eastern Ontario, Canada, 20 kilometres (12 mi) southwest of the city of Peterborough.
The original townships of Cavan and Monaghan were surveyed by John Deyell in 1817, and were named after County Cavan and County Monaghan in Ireland, from which many of its settlers had emigrated. By 1819, there were 244 settlers, and by 1861 the population had risen to 4,901, many of whom were descendants of United Empire Loyalists, veterans of the War of 1812 who had been granted land there, or the original and later settlers from Ireland. After Confederation in 1867, the population began to drop as many families left for Western Canada.
The original Irish settlers were Protestants, and many of them were associated with the Orange Order. In the mid-19th century the "Cavan Blazers" were established as a fiercely Protestant vigilante group, who often burned down the farms of Catholic settlers.
The Township of Cavan and the Village of Millbrook became part of Peterborough County in 1974, and were amalgamated, along with North Monaghan, into one township — Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan — in 1998. In 2007, the township was renamed Cavan–Monaghan, as many thought the older name was too long.
The township comprises the communities of Carmel, Cavan, Cedar Valley, Fraserville, Ida, Millbrook, Mount Pleasant, South Monaghan, Springville and Tapley. None are incorporated and a couple are relegated to just names on a map as cars made transportation easier and service areas concentrated in fewer nodes.
Millbrook is the township's largest and main population centre. It has been a filming location for several movie productions. Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town (a 2011 CBC production), The Music Man, Ice Princess, The Town Christmas Forgot and A History of Violence were filmed in the town. In the latter film, Millbrook was depicted as the fictional town of Millbrook, Indiana.
The Juno Award-winning singer/songwriter Serena Ryder grew up in Millbrook.
- List of townships in Ontario
- List of correctional facilities in Ontario Ontario Licence Plates were made at the Millbrook Correctional Centre, 1974-2003.
- "Cavan-Monaghan census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- [dead link] "Home page". Millbrook and Cavan Historical Society. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "By-law Number 2007-19" (PDF). Corporation of the Township of Cavan-Millbrook=North Monaghan. 2007-04-02. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
|Clarington||Port Hope||Hamilton Twp.|