Central and Eastern European Online Library
The Central and Eastern European Online Library (C.E.E.O.L.) is an online archive providing access to full text articles from humanities and social science scholarly journals on Central, Eastern and South Eastern European topics.
The subject areas include: anthropology, culture and society, economy, gender studies, history, Judaic studies, fine arts, literature, linguistics, political sciences and social sciences, philosophy, religion, reviews, etc.
C.E.E.O.L. is initiated and maintained by Questa.Soft GmbH in Frankfurt am Main, which is a software development company, founded in 1998 by two partners, Wolfgang Klotz and Aurelian Urzica. From the very beginning, the company started to build up the technical and logistical basis for the future operation of C.E.E.O.L. In 2000 the company completed the development of a content management pilot project and offered publishers from Central and Eastern Europe a platform for the online distribution of their publications—C.E.E.O.L.
C.E.E.O.L. may be seen as an heir of the East/West European Cultural Centre “Palais Jalta” in Frankfurt am Main which, for the twelve-year period from 1991 to 2003, attempted primarily to balance the flow of information from West to East with a significant counter current in the opposite direction. C.E.E.O.L., as the “virtual successor” of “Palais Jalta”, shares this aim and continues this work on a global scale via the Internet.
As a logical enhancement of C.E.E.O.L. and following numerous requests from C.E.E.O.L.’s partner publishers, Questa.Soft GmbH decided to provide the Eastern European publishers with an additional online platform DiBiDo dedicated to e-books from and about Central, Eastern and South Eastern Europe, covering the same subject, language and geographic areas as the periodical database. The DiBiDo platform allows the participating publishers to distribute their books in digital format, to readers from across the world.
- Bea Klotz, The Central and Eastern European Online Library (http://www.ceeol.com), in: The Serials Librarian, Volume 53, Issue 1 & 2 August 2007 , pages 191–201
- Bea Klotz, Recent Developments at the Central and Eastern European Online Library (http://www.ceeol.com/), in: Slavic & East European Information Resources, Volume 10, Issue 1 January 2009, pages 95–101
- Robert Murray Davis, East Goes West. New Ventures in Eastern European Publishing, in: World Literature Today, May–August 2004, pages 53–55
- Official website
- Official site of DiBiDo, the e-book platform launched by C.E.E.O.L.
- Article in German by Anita Strecker, Osteuropa fängt in Oberrad an, in: Frankfurter Rundschau, 21.03.2007
- Article in German by Wolfgang Klotz, Alle wieder da, in: Frankfurter Rundschau, 10.10.2007