Charles Bateson (4 August 1903 – 5 July 1974) was a maritime historian, journalist and author.
Charles Henry Bateson was born in Wellington, New Zealand and migrated to Australia in 1922. He worked as a journalist for many Australian papers and also worked for the Department of the Interior during World War II. He was editor of The Log, the official journal of the Australian and New Zealand branch of the World Ship Society. He published many books and died at Vaucluse in Sydney in 1974.
Australian shipwrecks series
As an amateur maritime historian Bateson started writing and publishing of the most comprehensive reference series of books on maritime disasters in Australia. After his death this was continued on by Jack Loney. The Australian Shipwrecks series includes:
• Australian shipwrecks Vol. 1 1622–1850 By Charles Bateson. Sydney. Reed, 1972 910.4530994 BAT
• Australian shipwrecks Vol. 2 1851–1871 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Sydney. Reed, 1980 910.4530994 LON
• Australian shipwrecks Vol. 3 1871–1900 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Geelong Vic: List Publishing, 1982 910.4530994 LON
• Australian shipwrecks Vol. 4 1901–1986 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Portarlington Vic. Marine History Publications, 1987 910.4530994 LON
• Australian shipwrecks Vol. 5 Update 1986 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Portarlington Vic. Marine History Publications, 1991 910.4530994 LON
- The Convict Ships 1788 - 1868 1959
- Gold Fleet for California
- Patrick Logan - Tyrant of Brisbane Town
- First into Italy
- The War with Japan
- Australian Shipwrecks v1 1622-1850. AW Reed Pty Ltd, Sydney, 1972, ISBN 0-589-07112-2
|This article about an Australian writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|