Charles R. Pellegrino
Charles R. Pellegrino is an American writer, and the controversial author of several books relating to science and archaeology, including Return to Sodom and Gomorrah, Ghosts of the Titanic, Unearthing Atlantis and Ghosts of Vesuvius.
One of his recent books (co-authored with Simcha Jacobovici) is The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation, and the Evidence That Could Change History (2007), a companion book to the Discovery Channel documentary on the same subject created in part by film director James Cameron.
Last Train from Hiroshima
The New York Times initially praised the book as "sober and authoritative" and as a "firm and compelling synthesis of earlier memoirs and archival material". However, a month later the New York Times questioned claims made in Pellegrino's book:
[The book] claims to reveal a secret accident with the atom bomb that killed one American and irradiated others and greatly reduced the weapon’s destructive power… There is just one problem. That section of the book and other technical details of the mission are based on the recollections of Joseph Fuoco, who is described as a last-minute substitute on one of the two observation planes that escorted the Enola Gay… But Mr. Fuoco… never flew on the bombing run, and he never substituted for James R. Corliss, the plane’s regular flight engineer, Mr. Corliss’s family says. They, along with angry ranks of scientists, historians and veterans, are denouncing the book and calling Mr. Fuoco an impostor.
Veterans of the 509th Operations Group, the Air Force unit which dropped the atomic bombs, issued a detailed list of substantive problems with many of the book's claims about the bomb and the Air Force personnel involved.
The New York Times added, "Facing a national outcry and the Corliss family’s evidence, the author, Charles Pellegrino, now concedes that he was probably duped. . . . [H]e said he would rewrite sections of the book for paperback and foreign editions." Despite Pellegrino's claim in The New York Times that he had been "duped" by Fuoco, further investigation revealed that Pellegrino had repeatedly mentioned one of the book's most disputed claims (a supposed fatal accident at Tinian Island on 4 August 1945) before Mr. Fuoco had allegedly confided it for him. Doubts also arose about the existence of two westerners allegedly present in Hiroshima at the time of the bombing.
On 1 March 2010, Henry Holt announced that it had halted publication of Last Train from Hiroshima.
||This section lends undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies. (July 2014)|
Pellegrino claims to have received a Ph.D. at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand in 1982. After doubts about the degree were raised, Victoria University spokespersons informed the Associated Press, The Weekly Standard, and The New York Times that Pellegrino did not have a Ph.D. from Victoria University.
Pellegrino responded that the university had "stripped him of his Ph.D. because of a disagreement over evolutionary theory". The university told The New York Times and other news outlets that it would further investigate the matter. In 2010, The New York Times reported:
In an e-mailed statement, Professor Pat Walsh, vice chancellor of Victoria University of Wellington, confirmed that Mr. Pellegrino had been a Ph.D. student in the 1980s. "He submitted a thesis which in the unanimous opinion of the examiners was not of a sufficient standard for a Ph.D. to be awarded," Mr. Walsh said. "Following complaints from Pellegrino, an investigation was carried out by the University. In 1986, Pellegrino appealed to Her Majesty the Queen. The case was then considered by the Governor-General who disallowed the appeal. Accordingly, Pellegrino was never awarded a Ph.D. from Victoria and therefore could not have had it stripped from him or reinstated at a later date."
- The Last Train from Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back (Henry Holt, 2010)
- The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation, and the Evidence That Could Change History (with Simcha Jacobovici, 2007)
- Ghosts of Vesuvius: A New Look at the Last Days of Pompeii, How Towers Fall, and Other Strange Connections (2004)
- Ghosts of the Titanic (2000)
- Return to Sodom and Gomorrah: Bible Stories from Archaeologists (1994)
- Unearthing Atlantis: An Archaeological Odyssey (1991)
- Her Name, Titanic: Untold Story of the Sinking and Finding of the Unsinkable Ship (1988)
- "Farewell, Titanic: Her Final Legacy," (Forward by Tom Dettweiler), John Wiley & Sons, N.J. (2012).
- "The Californian Incident," Shoebox/Kindle, Canada (2013).
- James Powell, George Maise, Charles Pellegrino, "StarTram: The New Race for Space." Shoebox/Kindle, Canada (2013).
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Hidden Epidemic (with Jesse A. Stoff, 1988)
- Chariots for Apollo: The Untold Story Behind the Race to the Moon (with Joshua Stoff, 1985)
- Time Gate: Hurtling Backward Through History (1983)
- Darwin's Universe: Origins and Crises in the History of Life (with Jesse A. Stoff, 1983)
- Interstellar Travel and Communication (with James Powell and Isaac Asimov, et al., 1986)
- Dyson Sphere (with George Zebrowski, 1999)
- Dust (1998)
- The Killing Star (with George Zebrowski, 1995)
- Flying to Valhalla (1993)
- The Fallen Sky (1982)
- Re-released on October 1, 2002 as part of a 4-DVD set entitled Time Life's Lost Civilizations.
- Ghosts of the Abyss. With James Cameron (2003).
- Naked Science: Atlantis - National Geographic Channel (2004).
- Aliens of the Deep. With James Cameron (2005).
- The Naked Archaeologist: Joshua - History Channel. Hosted by Simcha Jacobovici (2006).
- American Vesuvius - History Channel (2006).
- Secrets of the Bible - National Geographic Channel (2006).
- The Exodus Decoded - History Channel. With Simcha Jacobovici and James Cameron (2006).
- The Lost Tomb of Jesus - Discovery Channel. With Simcha Jacobovici (2007).
- Three Ground Zeros, A Thousand Paper Cranes (2008)
- A Jewish Home in Pompeii (History Channel, 2009)
- The Last Train From Hiroshima (Japan TV, 2009)
- Pellegrino and the Hiroshima Controversy in America (Japan TV, Hidetaka/Nakamura, 2010)
- The Legacy of Tsutomu Yamaguchi (Japan TV, Hidetaka/Nakamura, 2011)
- Twice Bombed, Twice Survived,Part 2 (Japan TV, Hidetaka/Nakamura, 2012)
- Rich, Motoko (2010-03-05). "University Rejects Pellegrino Claim in Degree Dispute". New York: The New York Times.
- Dwight Garner (20 January 2010). "After Atom Bombs’ Shock, the Real Horrors Began Unfolding". The New York Times.
- William J. Broad (20 February 2010). "Doubts Raised on Book’s Tale of Atom Bomb". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 February 2010.
- Krauss, Robert W. (February 2010). "Atomic Veterans Incensed over False Claims in New Book" (PDF). Veterans of the 509th Composite Group (EnolaGay509th.com). Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Amazon.com: Customer Discussions". Amazon.com' 23 Feb 2010.
- "Coast to Coast AM Radio: Interview with Charles Pellegrino". Coast to Coast AM' Feb 2010.
- Lundin, Leigh (2010-03-07). "Fact, Fiction, Fakery". Literary Scandals. Criminal Brief.
- Rich, Motoko (2010-03-01). "Publisher to Halt Printing of Disputed Hiroshima Book". The New York Times (New York). Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Italie, Hillel (2010-03-02). "Publisher halts book about bombing of Hiroshima". Yahoo News (New York: Associated Press). Retrieved 2010-03-10.[dead link]
- "University denies authors PhD claim". New Zealand Herald 2 Mar 2010. 2010-03-02.
- Schoenfeld, Gabriel (2010-03-01). "A Career Too Good to Be True". Washington: Weekly Standard. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- Pellegrino, Charles R. Last Train from Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back. New York: Henry Holt and Co., 2010. ISBN 0-8050-8796-6
- Jacobovici, Simcha and Pellegrino, Charles R. The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation, and the Evidence That Could Change History. Paperback ed. New York: HarperOne, 2008. ISBN 0-06-120534-6
- Pellegrino, Charles R. Ghosts of Vesuvius: A New Look at the Last Days of Pompeii, How Towers Fall, and Other Strange Connections. Paperback ed. New York: Harper Perennial, 2005. ISBN 0-06-075100-2
- Pellegrino, Charles R. Ghosts of the Titanic. New York: Avon, 2001. ISBN 0-380-72472-3
- Pellegrino, Charles R. Return to Sodom and Gomorrah: Bible Stories from Archaeologists. 2d paperback ed. New York: Harper Paperbacks, 1995. ISBN 0-380-72633-5
- Pellegrino, Charles R. Unearthing Atlantis: An Archaeological Odyssey. New York: Vintage, 1993. ISBN 0-679-73407-4
- Pellgrino, Charles R. Her Name, Titanic: Untold Story of the Sinking and Finding of the Unsinkable Ship. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Robert Hale Ltd., 1990. ISBN 0-7090-4242-6
- Stoff, Jesse A. and Pellegrino, Charles R. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Hidden Epidemic. 2d rev. ed. New York: Harper Perennial, 1992. ISBN 0-06-092260-5
- Pellegrino, Charles R. and Stoff, Joshua. Chariots for Apollo: The Untold Story Behind the Race to the Moon. New York: Quill, 1999. ISBN 0-380-80261-9
- Pellegrino, Charles R. Time Gate: Hurtling Backward Through History. Paperback ed. Blue Ridge Summit, Pa.: Tab Books, 1985. ISBN 0-8306-1863-5
- Pellegrino, Charles R. and Stoff, Jesse A. Darwin's Universe: Origins and Crises in the History of Life. 2d ed. Blue Ridge Summit, Pa.: Tab Books, 1986. ISBN 0-8306-2773-1
- Asimov, Pellegrino, Powell and others edited this work, which is a collection of papers from the American Association for the Advancement of Science May 1986 symposium, Interstellar Travel and Communication. See: "Bibliography." In Charles R. Pellegrino and George Zebrowski. Dyson Sphere. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1999. ISBN 0-671-54173-0
- "Movies: About Lost Civilizations: Aegean - Legacy of Atlantis". The New York Times.
- `Lost Civilizations' Uses Modern Ways To Tell Ancient Tales - Chicago Sun-Times | Encyclopedia.com