Chenoweth is a name of Cornish origin meaning "new house" (Chy noweth) in the Cornish language, and usually pronounced with the emphasis on the middle (second) syllable. The pronunciation of the 'ow' is often anglicised to rhyme with cow, but the original Cornish language pronunciation is to rhyme with low.
Over 90% of Chenoweths in the United States are from one common colonial family. Ninety percent of these use Chenoweth as the common spelling; 5% use Chenowith. Other variations are Chenowth, Chinowth, Chinouth, Chinworth, Chenworth, Chenneyworth, Channeyworth and Chineworth. Chynoweth is a common spelling found in some parts of the British Commonwealth. The use of Chynoweth in the US comes from subsequent immigrations in the 1800s to the States.
- Blair Chenoweth (born 1981), American dance instructor, former Miss Alaska
- Ellen Chenoweth, American casting director
- Eric Chenowith (born 1979), American basketball player
- Erica Chenoweth Political Scientist
- Francis A. Chenoweth (1819–1899), American politician
- Helen Chenoweth-Hage (1938–2006), American politician
- John Chenoweth (1897–1986), American politician
- Kristin Chenoweth (born 1968), American actress and singer
- Lemuel Chenoweth (1811–1887), American covered bridge builder
- Richard Chenoweth, builder of Fort Nelson, Kentucky
- Vida Chenoweth (born c. 1920), ethnomusicologist, marimbist and linguist
- Brenda Chenowith, from the television series Six Feet Under
- Billy Chenowith, brother of Brenda Chenowith on Six Feet Under
|This page or section lists people with the surname Chenoweth. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|