The Chicago Tafia Welsh Society (also known as the Chicago Tafia) is an expatriate Welsh group formed in Chicago, Illinois, USA, in 1999. As one of the youngest and most contemporary Welsh groups in North America, the society strives to provide a link between the present culture of Wales and the Chicago area.
The group’s activities include organizing social gatherings to watch Welsh sporting events and musicians, and celebrating events such as St. David's Day. Over the years they have been involved with over a dozen concerts for Welsh male voice choirs in the Chicago area, including the Pendyrus, Penrhyn, Bangor, Black Mountain, Burlington and CF1 choirs at prominent Chicago venues.
In 2007 the group attracted the former lead singer of Catatonia, Cerys Matthews to entertain them at their annual St. David’s Day party. In the same year, they successfully lobbied the Illinois General Assembly into signing into law Bill HR0149, which proclaimed March 1, in 2007 and each year thereafter, as St. David's Day in the State of Illinois, in recognition of the Welsh contribution to the state.
In 2009, 2010 and 2011 the Chicago Tafia partnered with the British Consulate-General in Chicago and Colliers B&K to illuminate the iconic Wrigley Building red, white, and green (the colours of the Welsh flag) on March 1, St. Davids Day.
- The Chicago Tafia Welsh Society
- The Chicago Tafia on Facebook
- The Chicago Tafia on Twitter
- The Chicago Tafia on YouTube
- The Chicago Tafia on AmeriCymru
- The Chicago Tafia on MySpace
- Full text of Illinois House Resolution HR0149 proclaiming St. David's Day and the Welsh contribution to the State of Illinois
Newspaper, Magazine & Web articles about the Chicago Tafia
- The Loyola Phoenix - Closer Look gets a glimpse of the 13th annual Chicago Celtic Fest (September 22, 2009)
- Annual kilt contest skirts the issue - The Chicago Tafia in the Chicago Sun Times 11 September 2009
- Wrigley Building Lit in Welsh Colours for St. David's Day 2009
- BBC.co.uk - Wales and the World Honour St. David
- An interview by the London Welsh with the Chicago Tafia
- BBC Wales - 28 February 2007
- BBC Wales - 24 September 2004